Join for free
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 > Last »
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2014, 07:36 AM

I Remember When

I saw an old ad on YT tonight that got me to thinking about things from the past.

I remembered when milk and real cream was delivered to the door in glass bottles.
When you could actually buy something with a penny. (Usually sweets! )
Using fountain pens, ink, and blotting paper.
Having autograph books for messages from family and friends, such as:

Roses are red
Violets are blue
I pity the man
That marries you.

I love you high
I love you mighty
I want your pyjamas next to my nightie.
Not don't be mistaken, don't be misled,
I mean on the clothesline, not in bed.

In your chain of memory,
always count me as a link.

And I remembered I used to remember everything!
What wonderful things do you remember?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2014, 08:44 AM

Re: I Remember When

Icecream men that came round on a trike with a large box on the front that was full of 'dry ice' to keep the icecream cold, and which 'smoked' when you opened the lid.

Pig bin men who collected the old peelings from potatoes, carrots, swede, cabbage etc to feed their pigs with.

Rag & bone men who also had a grinding stone on the wagon to sharpen household knives.

Coalmen, who used to deliver 1/2 hundredweight of coal and/or coke for the open fires we all had.

Playing out in the street till it started to get dark.

Days out in London - catching the workmen's train in the early morning which meant we had to get up very early in the morning. Breakfast in a 'greasy spoon' cafe undeneath London Bridge station. Visits to the museums.

Biking to and from school and bike rides all over Sussex during school holidays.
Curmudgeon
Surrey UK
Curmudgeon is male  Curmudgeon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2014, 09:35 AM

Ah Yes.

After the greengrocer had done his round there were several piles of horse droppings in the road . All the Women used to wait indoors with their buckets and shovels and as soon as he moved on their was a rush to shovel it up for the roses and often arguments as to whose property it was as it was deposited outside their house.
them was the days.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2014, 09:48 AM

The Rag & Bone man used to come round on a horse and cart. By the way, why did they call its "rags and BONES"? What did they want bones for?

At Jaywick on holiday, a big vehicle used to come round and empty all the Elsan (spelling?) toilets. We used to call him DanDan the lavatory man.

Being sent to the corner shop to get three quarters of Spam for tea.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2014, 09:58 AM

I recall the key on a piece of string that I pulled through the letterbox to let meself in - what a fab memory that is !
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2014, 10:02 AM

I'm trying to forget a lot of stuff in order to make room for ...oops sorry, I just forgot what I was about to say.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2014, 10:32 AM

Going on trips from school in little groups and being given bus tickets in advance by the teacher. In the last year at school we had a free day and spent it on days out.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2014, 10:41 AM

as the eldest child, going out with my father just before New Year and walking around the block and then coming back after midnight with a lump of coal [never knew were he got it from] and welcoming in the new year. and to follow - finding a fully laid table for a ham and salad meal for the first meal of the new year
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2014, 10:43 AM

I also remember the coal man coming round and filling up the coal bunker and having to go and fill the bucket and bring some coal it into the house for the fire.

I also remember the bread man coming round in his van. The milk man dropping off our supply in the morning and trying to be the first to get the cream at the top.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2014, 10:46 AM

I remember the old wringer washer we had, similar to the one in the picture, and getting my arm caught in it.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top