Join for free
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 > Last »
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2014, 08:40 PM

Internet conversations

Recently there seems to be lots of misunderstandings or misinterpretations on some threads. Well, not just recently, but for as long as I can remember! It highlights the problems of communicating online, where so much nuance is missed by not having intonation, facial expression and general body language. Smilies don't really solve the problem, particularly as some appear to use them rather indiscriminately or even intentionally to mislead.
It got me wondering about communication in general, and how easily a misunderstanding can upset or anger others.
Now I'm wondering if there are ways to improve our online communication. Or in fact do like the internet BECAUSE it is so flawed?
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2014, 08:57 PM

Re: Internet conversations

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
where so much nuance is missed by not having intonation, facial expression and general body language.
It's all down to education (or lack of ) It should be possible to say what you want to say in writing without needing facial expressions etc.

Social media has exacerbated the problem with people using 'text speak' allegedly to save time.

I try to keep away from anything controversial because I don't have faith in some of the people who might read my words.

Everyone has a 'hidden agenda' these days which is made worse by the media maliciously stirring up things, it's hardly surprising that there is misunderstanding on forums since so many people are brainwashed by what they've seen on TV or in the newspapers.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2014, 09:02 PM

I agree some have an agenda, some people actually seem to want to misunderstand and even when it is pointed out that wasn't what was meant insist they understood what was being said even if the person writing it hadn't even thought about what they say has been said.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2014, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I agree some have an agenda, some people actually seem to want to misunderstand and even when it is pointed out that wasn't what was meant insist they understood what was being said even if the person writing it hadn't even thought about what they say has been said.
Just getting my head round that rather long sentence Julie! And I agree!
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2014, 09:13 PM

things can easily be taken out of context depending how someone interprets your words, often taken in the wrong way, it's frustrating to say the least because you can be criticised for nothing and then that can snowball among other members, it's a shame when that happens.

I guess some folk are more touchy than others, better to let it go over your head than try to make an impossible point
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2014, 09:15 PM

I don't get involved when things get heated/controversial but I can see that some folk definitely read more into a post than is intended and make a mountain out of a molehill
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

14-07-2014, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
It's all down to education (or lack of ) It should be possible to say what you want to say in writing without needing facial expressions etc.

Social media has exacerbated the problem with people using 'text speak' allegedly to save time.

I try to keep away from anything controversial because I don't have faith in some of the people who might read my words.

Everyone has a 'hidden agenda' these days which is made worse by the media maliciously stirring up things, it's hardly surprising that there is misunderstanding on forums since so many people are brainwashed by what they've seen on TV or in the newspapers.
I agree it should be possible to say what you want to say without facial expressions etc, but the issue is often more that the reader does not read what is written, no matter how clear it is, or misinterprets it. Or CHOOSES to misinterpret it, perhaps due to a hidden agenda.

Also agree that people are incredibly influenced by what they see on television or read in papers and magazines. As they say here, "Don't believe anything you read, and only half of what you see..."
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2014, 09:18 PM

very true Myrtle!
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

14-07-2014, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Honey ->
things can easily be taken out of context depending how someone interprets your words, often taken in the wrong way, it's frustrating to say the least because you can be criticised for nothing and then that can snowball among other members, it's a shame when that happens.

I guess some folk are more touchy than others, better to let it go over your head than try to make an impossible point
I agree, and particularly when it can divert a thread which may be personal or serious for someone.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

14-07-2014, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by myrtle ->
I don't get involved when things get heated/controversial but I can see that some folk definitely read more into a post than is intended and make a mountain out of a molehill
I don't get involved, either. Can't see the point. I don't come on here to be stressed!

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top