Join for free
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2014, 04:02 PM

families on holiday

It still shocks me how some parents on holiday let their young children roam about the complex or the beach, a good bit away from them. I've seen evidence of it a few times over the last two weeks. After the Madeleine McCann terrible tragedy I'm gobsmacked that they are not more vigilant. Things can happen in the blink of an eye.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2014, 04:08 PM

Re: families on holiday

I don't know why it shocks you. Seems to me many parents take more care of their car than their kids.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2014, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by eccles ->
I don't know why it shocks you. Seems to me many parents take more care of their car than their kids.
Yes, some people are more interested in material things.

I'm not a perfect mother, but if I had young children nowadays I wouldn't take my eyes off them outside the hotel room.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2014, 05:52 PM

Absolutely right Alice - especially today, you cant let them out of your sight ......
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2014, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
Yes, some people are more interested in material things.

I'm not a perfect mother, but if I had young children nowadays I wouldn't take my eyes off them outside the hotel room.

I'm far from perfect but I wouldn't let any child I was taking care of roam around, these are exactly the kind of places I imagine a paedophile, or similar, would frequent. makes my blood run cold just thinking of it.
Sweetsue
midWales
Sweetsue is female  Sweetsue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2014, 08:23 PM

I'm shocked at the way parents allow toddlers to trot about on their own on pavements. I've seen a few narrow squeaks lately when cars are whizzing past within inches of children. They've only to stumble or lose their balance at the wrong moment and they'd be under the wheels of the vehicle. Doesn't anyone use reins these days? Or at least hold the hands of tots.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2014, 08:51 PM

Well having recently become a parent again, I can only say it is easy to say these things but we can't live in fear and treat her like a prisoner, as kids we wandered and we have to let children still have some freedom. This weekend we will be going to the park, I will be walking the dogs and she will want to use the child's play area, can't take the dogs in there so will ask one of the mums or dads to keep an eye on her for me. Pick her up on the way back through.

I don't think I am a terrible parent just one who has to teach her a little about being independent and looking after herself, like I did with the other kids and like I was taught myself.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2014, 09:04 PM

Well done Julie. You're absolutely right, you can't treat them like prisoners or constantly wrap them in cotton wool.

Come on Alice, just how many children are injured or abused as soon as they're out of their parents sight? Very very very few I'll bet. Children have to learn a bit of independance and parents have to learn not to become so controlling.

I'm shocked too - shocked at the paranoia in some of these responses.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2014, 09:20 PM

Having raised 2 perfectly well adjusted children to adulthood I think I got the balance right, however I still keep little grandson close when out - I simply cannot get little James Bulgers murder out of my mind.
It only takes a minute, I don't think it's paranoia at all. He plays in the park and enjoys it but I or another adult are never far away.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top