Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 03:25 PM

Death Penalty

Shouldn't there be a worldwide abolition of the death penalty?

Interestingly the number of executions are going UP in Vietnam, United States, Iraq and Pakistan.

All other countries appear to be reducing the number of executions. (Amnesty)

The first figure is for 2007-2012 and the second *for 2007-2012 - I hope that makes sense!

LIBYA 39 * 0
KOREA (NORTH) 105 *0
SAUDI ARABIA 423 * 54
YEMEN 152 *109
IRAN 1,663 *156
VIETNAM 58 *258
UNITED STATES 220 *504
IRAQ 256 *1,420
PAKISTAN 171 *1,497
CHINA 000s *000s
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 03:32 PM

Re: Death Penalty

We're botching them up like crazy here. Last one, the bloke took 2 hours to die.. That's because we cannot get the right drugs used for the lethal injection. So what ever crap is being used is not working well, and manufacturers refuse to sell us the good stuff...

I think it should be abolished.. but we have some blood thirsty people here.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 03:42 PM

I think there's a case now for the death penalty - with forensics being so good now. There needs to be a time say 5 years before its carried out, for appeals. But - I am for it.
We are running out of space now to house prisoners and why should we house murderers anyway. They gave no consideration to others when fulfilling their deed or deeds, why should I to them. Particularly serial killers - they would have gone on and on, if not caught
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 03:46 PM

Try doing jury service-a room full of strangers of one mind. Thank God there is no death sentence-we cannot do that.
Gypsy
Ontario, Canada
Gypsy is female 

07-08-2014, 03:56 PM

It's hard to give an answer to. Partly because of the number of people who have been proven innocent but in a case where there is an admission of guilt and the person is not found to be mentally incompetant I favour the death sentence.

agree about the need to have a quick and humane death....maybe the guillotine will make a comeback, nothing quicker and more certain than that
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 04:15 PM

I have no moral objection to the death penalty. Anyone who deliberately sets out to take a life, whether in the commission of another crime or simply for "fun" has, in my opinion forfeited their own right to live. BUT (and this is a huge but) I simply do not believe our system of justice can be trusted to bring forth a true verdict on many occasions. The slightest chance that one innocent person might be judicially killed is the greatest argument against the death penalty.
Maybe a tariff of evidence might be useful - if the only evidence is circumstantial, the death penalty would not be a sentencing option. At the other extreme if the evidence against a person is overwhelming and includes witnesses, admission of guilt and lashings of incriminating and incontrovertible forensic evidence, plus they were caught on CCTV, then a death sentence should be a sentencing option.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 04:16 PM

Yes there should be a worldwide abolition of the death penalty. Violent acts of any kind are not the answer to any problem.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 04:22 PM

What i dont understand is people who choose to end their lives go to Dignitas for a peaceful end to their lives. Why are there botched executions in the USA, where people sentenced to death are suffering for hours.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
What i dont understand is people who choose to end their lives go to Dignitas for a peaceful end to their lives. Why are there botched executions in the USA, where people sentenced to death are suffering for hours.
Because.. Prisons are unable to purchase the proper drugs.. The manufacturers KNOW what they are using their drugs for and refuse to sell them to our Prisons.. Also.. Euthanasia is not legal here, but the death penalty is.. Go figger
Henry66
New Member!
United Kingdom
Henry66 is male 

07-08-2014, 04:58 PM

I woould like to think that we as a society have grown to a place where we can see the death penalty for the abhorrent act it is.

we cant just function on the premise of a
life for a life
. Its not what we should be striving for.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top