Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2014, 12:44 AM

Driving Licences

Wasn't sure where to put this thread but, for a wider audience, I decided to put it here.

What's the law on UK driving licences please?

I was told at work recently that I've been driving illegally for ex-amount of years because I don't have a photo licence BUT, I have never changed addresses since it was issued, plus, surely the DVLA would have told me to change it if it was no longer legal or valid?

I'm still driving on the old green licence I received on passing my test in 1974, so please don't tell me I've been driving illegally since or after then, otherwise, I'll have to hand meself in at the cop shop and I might get arrested and handcuffed and dragged down into a smelly cell and then sent to prison with horrible people and I can't be mithered with stuff like that at my age!

Seriously, nobody has ever told me to change my licence, so if anyone has knowledge of this, I'd be very grateful for your replies.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2014, 02:48 AM

Re: Driving Licences

Can't help you with the legality but I still have my green UK licence which is valid for a good number of years yet. To be honest I preferred the little red book licence.

When I drove in the UK I just carried my NSW Licence and the International Licence I use when I drive in Asia though I understand that the latter is not necessary in the UK because my licence is in English (?).
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2014, 06:10 AM

The old paper licence is still quite legal Mollie, I still drive on one. It can be replaced with a photo licence at any time if you wish, but it will have to be replaced with as a matter of course when you change address or reach 70.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2014, 06:36 AM

Yes, they are legal, mines been back and forth a couple of times in recent years too have points added (and removed).
HTB
Lanc's
HTB is male  HTB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2014, 07:04 AM

http://www.yourdrivinglicence.co.uk/...g-licence.html

your OK............but just a quick reminder for those with photo ID plastic licences........They are only valid for 10 years, and you COULD be fined for not updating them..........H
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2014, 08:54 AM

I also have a very ancient green paper licence and on enquiring at the post office I was told it was valid until I reach the age of 70 however old it is but I should apply for the new one some time before this.
However, should I change it at any time for a photo licence they are only valid for 10 years and you have to pay for them.
I am not in any hurry to change, I pay enough already in car tax for a car I only use a couple of times a week in an area where there are no busses.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2014, 09:55 AM

I have still got my old green licence Mollie, it must still be legal as when I renewed my car tax a couple of months ago the post office did not query it.

If as stated the new photo ids only last for 10 years I will keep my paper one until I have to change it over.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2014, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
The old paper licence is still quite legal Mollie, I still drive on one. It can be replaced with a photo licence at any time if you wish, but it will have to be replaced with as a matter of course when you change address or reach 70.
You are correct plantman.

But whether you have an old paper licence or a photo licence (renewable every 10 years) as plantman has said, if you change your address you must inform the DVLA and have your details updated otherwise your licence is invalid and for this you can be prosecuted.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2014, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by shirley ->
I have still got my old green licence Mollie, it must still be legal as when I renewed my car tax a couple of months ago the post office did not query it..
A driving licence doesn't have to be produced when renewing your vehicle tax shirley.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2014, 03:06 PM

Quite right. They don't even want the MOT now, just your insurance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top