Join for free
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2014, 11:36 AM

It`s not what it`s worth

It`s what folks wish to pay. I`m downsizing so I sent a load of stuff to auction. 5 antique dining chairs did not make a fiver,at the same auction 5 airfix kits hammered at £42.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2014, 11:49 AM

Re: It`s not what it`s worth

Stephan it seems such a shame that the beauty and originality of well made furniture is sacrificed on the alter of 'we must all have houses which are furnished identically inside' .
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2014, 02:33 PM

hey ho-one more try before they go to a charity shop. Auction houses take a fair bit of commission. They are Sheraton-got to be worth a shilling or two??
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2014, 02:45 PM

Thats no return at all is ,it ,,perhaps you should have done a garage sale at least you not paying commission.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2014, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
They are Sheraton-got to be worth a shilling or two??
Do you have a photo, or a link to something similar, can't make any promises but I'm looking for antique furniture in a general way, as Meg says it seems every house must be furnished from one or two mega suppliers, the one from Finland I particularly dislike
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2014, 05:04 PM

It`s what folks wish to pay. I`m downsizing so I sent a load of stuff to auction. 5 antique dining chairs did not make a fiver,at the same auction 5 airfix kits hammered at £42.
Sadly antique stuff seems to go in and out of fashion. My mother's old dining table was once valued at £2600 for insurance purposes. It sold at auction for 10% of that...
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2014, 06:40 PM

Perhaps you picked the wrong auction house.
We go regularly to some & it is horses for courses in that game.
I would never put anything considered valuable into an auction without a reserve on it.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs

20-09-2014, 01:14 PM

Losos-sorry but for my stuff it`s too late.

Orangutan-I know the feeling.

Tiffany-Reserves can be quite tricky,if an item fails to meet it then at the next auction the estimate is reduced by say,30%. I found this to my cost when I sold someother stuff. One item was on with an estimate of £1000-£1300 and a £900 reserve-it failed. When it did sell the hammer price was a lot less than the original(rejected) bid. It is horses for courses and some luck. I had a painting on board with a crack in it,valuer says-`It`s quite old it may reach £300`It hammered at £1300. You win some you lose some.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2014, 05:17 PM

Losos-sorry but for my stuff it`s too late.
That's OK, would not have been able to view them until end of next month anyway.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top