Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2014, 07:15 PM

Killing bamboo

A few years ago my neighbour planted bamboo on the other side of our shared fence.
It is now about 10 feet high and coming up all along my side of the fence including in my raised beds which contain runner beans .

I have tried digging it up but this is impossible because the roots go under the others side of the fence .

How can I get rid of the bamboo without poisoning my own soil.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2014, 07:17 PM

Re: Killing bamboo

Originally Posted by Meg ->
A few years ago my neighbour planted bamboo on the other side of our shared fence.
It is now about 10 feet high and coming up all along my side of the fence including in my raised beds which contain runner beans .

I have tried digging it up but this is impossible because the roots go under the others side of the fence .

How can I get rid of the bamboo without poisoning my own soil.
Get a panda?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2014, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Get a panda?
...very helpful Mags behave or I will dig it up and bring it down to your garden
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2014, 07:34 PM

Meg you really need to talk to your neighbour about this, as you undoubtedly know by now bamboo is terribly invasive and the runners are tough enough to even break through masonry! If your neighbour won't deal with the plant on his side of the fence which he should, (he could use such as Roundup which is systemic and won't harm the soil), then I would think your only two other options are to dig out and put in a metal root barrier along the fence line or just continue to hoe off the shoots as they appear, but I do hope your neighbour helps you with this.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2014, 07:35 PM

Dig a trench on the boundary and put in some sort of barrier, like corrugated sheeting. Sorry Barry, you beat me to it by nano seconds.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2014, 07:36 PM

Send me round there - one look from me and its a goner
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

19-09-2014, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Dig a trench on the boundary and put in some sort of barrier, like corrugated sheeting.
...Alan I covered the ground in that black fabric stuff and it just grew through it

There isn't really enough room to dig a trench between the fence and the raised beds which is only a distance of 6 inches.

I suppose I could try putting something thin like lawn edging into the ground along the fence.

I wonder if hammering this in would work..

http://www.diy.com/departments/verve.../315114_BQ.prd
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2014, 07:40 PM

It's a pig to get rid of - I hope your neighbour will agree to help eradicate it otherwise it will just keep coming back from his side.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2014, 07:42 PM

Just a thought, can't you poison the runners on your side and plead ignorance if the thing dies
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2014, 07:44 PM

Your last option is to complain to your council about invasion on your property from neighbours plants affecting your ground.

Slightly different but a friend of mine had a neighbour complain about his
leylandii trees and the council came and it was agreed to have them only grow to a certain height and everyone was happy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top