Join for free
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2014, 08:43 PM

Hearing checks

I think I should get my hearing checked in my left ear as I'm finding it difficult to hear certain sounds, especially women's voices on TV for some weird reason. Other thing such as my pillow settling seem very loud, which is even more odd! I had it checked a few years ago at hospital & had some loss and tinitus. However, I was wondering how you go about getting it checked in the opticians or other places in the High Street. Can you just make an appointment or do you need to be referred? Can you have it done on the NHS? Can you get hearing aids on the NHS? If not are they expensive?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2014, 09:10 PM

Re: Hearing checks

Twiz I think your first stop should be your GP who will arrange for you to see an Audiologist for tests and yes you can get hearing aids on the NHS my Dad had one.

Be very careful looking at private hearing aid suppliers , some of them are not very competent.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2014, 09:19 PM

I had mine done at the opticians I use about 8 years ago.......it was OK.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2014, 09:34 PM

I made a free appointment with Boots for my hearing test a few years ago. Hearing aids are available on the NHS or privately.

http://www.webmd.boots.com/a-to-z-gu...aring-aid-care

I opted for privately as there was a greater choice of hearing aids.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2014, 10:25 AM

I have had trouble with my ears for donkey years being a telephonist.
I was sent to the hospital for a hearing test by my Doctor. I do have
tinnitus as well. They put headphones on you and put some noises
on your left, then right ear. You have to press a button when you hear
it. They put louder then softer noises on the headphones. That's how
they can tell if you are going deaf or just missing some tones which is
what you said you keep missing. I am the same. Some noises I find
hard to define and others like really high pitch ones nearly deafen me
lately. So well worth going to the Docs and seeing what they say.
Good luck.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2014, 06:07 PM

When i went to Spec-savers a couple of years ago for my eye test they had installed a hearing test equipment .,and it was free ,so i had mine done and it came out ok .
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2014, 07:11 PM

I may try the Boots or Specsavers option, I'm seeing my GP for so many other things at the moment, I think one more thing and she'll think I'm a hypochondriac!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top