Join for free
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »
seacroft
york
seacroft is male  seacroft has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2014, 11:05 PM

That Speech in April 1968

Enoch Powell made his perhaps greatest speech in Birmingham which he called " The Birmingham Speech " but the media dubbed " The Rivers Of Blood Speech "
He was hated by the left do gooders at the time and was also asked and did appear on the " Frost Report " tv show where he wiped the floor with David Frost.( one of the very few who ever did )
I remember it very well and now his predictions are with us if only the powers that were in charge had taken action then.
The trade unions in particular disliked his views but surprise surprise now they complain of immigrants taking their members jobs.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2014, 11:29 PM

Re: That Speech in April 1968

if he were around today I believe the UK would be a better place in many ways
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2014, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by seacroft ->
Enoch Powell made his perhaps greatest speech in Birmingham which he called " The Birmingham Speech " but the media dubbed " The Rivers Of Blood Speech "
He was hated by the left do gooders at the time and was also asked and did appear on the " Frost Report " tv show where he wiped the floor with David Frost.( one of the very few who ever did )
I remember it very well and now his predictions are with us if only the powers that were in charge had taken action then.
The trade unions in particular disliked his views but surprise surprise now they complain of immigrants taking their members jobs.

Enoch Powell was a race hate monger, a definite low in British politics. He pandered to the innate British xenophobia, in that regard at least much seems to have improved since.
mysterie
Sydney, Australia
mysterie is female  mysterie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2014, 04:26 AM

Enoch Powell was so correct in what he said, it was a shame no other politician had the balls to stand with him on that speech.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2014, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Enoch Powell was a race hate monger, a definite low in British politics. He pandered to the innate British xenophobia, sadly in that regard at least much seems to have improved since.
I agree with this sentiment Bruce. I have seen no "rivers of blood" in this country in my lifetime except perhaps the clashes during the miners' strike and that was not racial. From time to time we have had riots but again they were not racially motivated as I recall.
Myth and Magic
UK
Myth and Magic is female  Myth and Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2014, 07:35 AM

A lot of what Enoch said was true, he just had an over developed sense of the dramatic when delivering his speech.

By the way, 'Rivers of Blood' was not composed by Enoch, I think that the quotation was taken from the bible, possible one of the psalms. I seem to remember that Shakespeare may have used it too.
Regards, Clever in Clogs
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2014, 08:55 AM

'Rivers of blood' is not far fetched, its started in Germany between the Kurds and some other .......
It will happen here - the differences are too vast
Roseredlee
United Kingdom
Roseredlee is female  Roseredlee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2014, 09:29 AM

Oh dear this is where I have to leave this forum
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2014, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Roseredlee ->
Oh dear this is where I have to leave this forum
Why do you say that Rosemary everyone is entitled to express an opinion, we don't all have to agree.

If you find some opinions upsetting you can always avoid those threads.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2014, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by seacroft ->
I remember Powell too, he gave me the creeps and reminded my of Oswald Mosley and Hitler with his staring eyes and mannerisms.

I also hate how the 'Rivers of Blood' speech is trotted out every now and then by people who like to stir up hatred and division between people .

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top