Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2014, 02:03 PM

Our tiny island

I'm not very intelligent when it comes to understanding politics, but, I try.
It seems to me that we're not going to be able to stay in the EU if we put a cap on the number of immigrants coming here, I wonder if that's because the rest of the countries know that if we do they'll have to take more, most seem to want to come here so they'll have to go elsewhere. The other EU countries seem to have no conscience over filling our country up, small as it is.
I'm usually standing up for anyone who wants to escape to a better life but, even I can see this isn't fair!
What do you think?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2014, 02:19 PM

Re: Our tiny island

I 'was' OK with it for 'many' years - now it is so out of hand, I am not OK with it
The EU could change their stance, now they see the damage being done - they refuse to, of course
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2014, 02:30 PM

I was thinking if Cameron wants to see off UKIP he could give immigrants the vote! (just kidding of course!)
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2014, 02:33 PM

I don't have a problem with those coming here if they feel persecuted,not many can stay through it,,it seems.
We spend Millions trying to help third world countries ,if we were to invest in some of the poorer countries in Europe .like Romania for one ,perhaps they would stay there .Instead of searching for an easier place to live here.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

21-10-2014, 02:38 PM

Yes, I've been saying that for years, some investment needed to improve their countries, some have fantastic scenery and natural resources. In fact if they built retirement villages for wealthy folk, they's probably rake it in!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2014, 02:51 PM

The problem seems to me we signed up to an agreement that allowed free movement through out the EU countries when all the countries were of a similar state, none of us particularly poor. Since others have joined who are not as rich as us and they are swamping all the richer EU countries. Where some ignore the rules we seem to hold them dear and implement every one making us a target for people to reap our benefit system. Because even those who are working and that is most) they are still claiming child benefit and can do so even for children not here with them and working tax credits too.

If we had full employment and very few on benefit it would probably be fine but we don't and our own people are struggling to find work that pays a living wage, school places and health service is crumbling under the strain.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

21-10-2014, 02:59 PM

On The Wright Stuff, Matthew said a woman from Portugal went up to him after the show and said they didn't like the English going over there, buying up houses, not learning the language and wanting fish & chips & beer, something like that.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2014, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
On The Wright Stuff, Matthew said a woman from Portugal went up to him after the show and said they didn't like the English going over there, buying up houses, not learning the language and wanting fish & chips & beer, something like that.
And that's for them to sort out I think. Personally I would never go to another country if I didn't speak the language and want to embrace the culture. That is the problem we are now signed up to allow people to come and go but no onus on the traveller to assimilate into the country they go to.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2014, 04:17 PM

No more, were full up that's what I think of it!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2014, 05:08 PM

I can't understand how other European countries get away with their actions and thoughts. They don't seem to give a damn about rules and regs, and fines, or maybe the EU bosses turn their heads when it is any country other than ours.

It depresses me, the situation we are in now. I would wave a magic wand and reverse it, seriously.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top