Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2014, 06:19 PM

People risking their lives in coastal storms

Standing on a promenade
Walking on the promenade
Standing on rocks just to look
Standing on rocks or promenade to get 'that best shot'
Taking a child and pushchair to the water's edge
Walking out with a dog

Just been scrolling down a page on Mail Online of photos taken at various seaside towns and I was amazed at the stupidity of people standing dangerously close to crashing waves.

Yes I know it must be exciting to be out in such adverse weather, and to watch the sea, but really, must you put your lives at risk, and that of children with you?!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2014, 06:23 PM

Re: People risking their lives in coastal storms

Yes - seen this Jazzi, many times - back to 'common sense' aren't we ......
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2014, 06:27 PM

Afraid I'm guilty of standing watching the waves Jazzi, We get massive ones up on the top coast of Scotland. On a normal day they are big enough for the Surfers to get out on them but when there's a storm out in the Atlantic they are humungus. I walk on Dunnet Beach most days and I was standing watching them up on the rise at high tide. I'm an avid wave watcher I'm afraid........but I do it safely.

This is a normal day for us......

Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2014, 06:35 PM

At least you're not standing on ragged rocks Roxy
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2014, 06:48 PM

Oh Lordy No Patsy, I stand well back. If I'm on the Cliff Path at Thurso Castle I will stand and watch for ages as that's where the biggest ones come in.
This is what Thurso Front usually looks like.

This is what it often looks like at this time of the year.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

21-10-2014, 06:49 PM

Smashing
Those houses seem very near to the sea .........
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2014, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Standing on a promenade
Walking on the promenade
Standing on rocks just to look
Standing on rocks or promenade to get 'that best shot'
Taking a child and pushchair to the water's edge
Walking out with a dog

Just been scrolling down a page on Mail Online of photos taken at various seaside towns and I was amazed at the stupidity of people standing dangerously close to crashing waves.

Yes I know it must be exciting to be out in such adverse weather, and to watch the sea, but really, must you put your lives at risk, and that of children with you?!
Also I think of the poor people who have to rescue these folk, their lives are being put at risk.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2014, 06:55 PM

I was born and have always lived near the sea. My father used to sit me on the crossbar of his bike and take me to see the waves. On 31st Jan 1953 there was a huge storm and we went to watch the waves. Later that day I heard the adults saying that the Stranraer to Larne ferry, the Princess Victoria, was sinking. It was one of my early memories.

I love a stormy day and like others who live near the sea, we don't need someone in London telling us how to behave!
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.

21-10-2014, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Smashing
Those houses seem very near to the sea .........
They're actually further away than they look in the photo Patsy I've only seen the waves crash onto them the once, Scary......
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2014, 07:23 PM

This shows how dangerous the sea can be, Dawlish earlier this year, immense damage from the sea to property and the main rail track to the South West left swinging in the air.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top