Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2014, 09:15 AM

Invasion

Yesterday found me at the coast to do a count of the birds for my Birdtrack Patch. I was not expecting much from the day as it was a warm Southerly wind, i was wrong.

Walking over to the lighthouse for a seawatch in the birdhide i was told of 2 Black Redstart that had been seen feeding on the beach and tide wrack, luckily i saw both.

Poor photo of a Black Redstart.

A good start which just got better as a mass invasion of thrushes was ongoing. Fieldfare, Redwing, Blackbirds and Song Thrushes were coming in off the sea in groups all day. Thousands have been recorded all along the East coast, Viz Mig or visible migration is still something i find thrilling, how many never make it across the North Sea.

Fieldfare.

Blackbird.

Also 2 owls seen, one identified as a Short eared owl, the other stayed out over the sea wandering North and South but remained a silohette so could not be identified possibly a Long-eared owl, found it strange it would not come to shore.

Lots of wildfowl moving at sea Wigeon, Teal, Goldeneye, Common scoter, Brent geese, Red-breasted merganser, + Red-throated divers, Gannets, Puffins, Guillemots passed with regularity.

Red Throated diver.

Goldeneye.

Brent Goose.

Gulls were also aplenty, lingering Little gulls, and 2 Mediterranean gulls standing out from the resident species.

Med gull, all white wings.

Little gull, dark underwings.

Finally finished the day off searching the clifftops and bushes finding another Black redstart and Blackcap as well as a few Stonechats along with loads of the thrushes still piling in to the wetland bushes exhausted by their long flight.

Female Stonechat.

Great day out 63 species noted, and good company and banter with fellow birders.
BoyRacer
Scotland,UK
BoyRacer is male  BoyRacer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2014, 09:26 AM

Re: Invasion

Wow, they're superb. Love the Blackbird and Red Throated Diver
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2014, 09:29 AM

Sounds like a great day! Brilliant pics
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2014, 09:33 AM

A wonderful selection of birds, Nom .... no doubt a good day for you
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2014, 09:33 AM

Never heard of a Stonechat - she's lovely
Great pictures to greet me -
Such a lovely way to spend a day with like minded people, smashing ......
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2014, 09:34 AM

Enjoyed the pictures Nom thank you they gave me a lift for the day..
Linden Tree
Derbyshire, UK
Linden Tree is female  Linden Tree has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2014, 09:45 AM

What a lovely way to spend a day, sounds like you thoroughly enjoyed it Nom. Great pictures and that little stonechat is so sweet. Thank you for sharing.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2014, 10:37 AM

Great photos as usual Nom, you certainly know your birds.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2014, 04:55 PM

Cheers for the comments, been down again today absolutely flat everything moved on inland.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2014, 05:04 PM

All credit to you Nom, smashing pictures...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top