Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2014, 10:09 AM

National Sevice / Conscription.

Never experienced National Service myself, it ended before i would have been eligible. I wonder if a modern form of this would be of use to our country. Not so much as a military option but as a way of helping to get youngsters used to discipline, self reliance, learning useful trades and skills.

With so many youngsters facing a hard job trying to find work due to the current situation, could it be a useful way to occupy them help keep them fit and healthy, and provide the chance to learn to bond with others, or would it be to draconian and open to abuse. ?.

Apologies if this has been discussed before.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2014, 10:13 AM

Re: National Sevice / Conscription.

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Never experienced National Service myself, it ended before i would have been eligible. I wonder if a modern form of this would be of use to our country. Not so much as a military option but as a way of helping to get youngsters used to discipline, self reliance, learning useful trades and skills.

With so many youngsters facing a hard job trying to find work due to the current situation, could it be a useful way to occupy them help keep them fit and healthy, and provide the chance to learn to bond with others, or would it be to draconian and open to abuse. ?.

I have thought for a long time, a form of National Service would be very worthwhile. For all the reasons you mention.
We have to give the youngsters focus and worthwhile use of their time ......Why - this hasn't been done is a mystery to me.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2014, 10:36 AM

It is a great idea.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2014, 10:50 AM

I despair it always seems to be a military option suggested. How about a year when young men and women leave school to serve the community, engender a pride in the society they are creating. So much needs doing to make our country better and a huge "ARMY" of young people may make a huge difference. It could stop vandalism etc too as they would IMO be proud of their community and not feel the need to destroy it.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2014, 10:52 AM

Of course i would hope it would help people to come together and learn from each other, perhaps our soldiers returning from service could be used to be mentors and trainers.Giving them time to return to some sort of normality, it worries me that so many seem to end up feeling rejected by society, a crying shame to those that served.

Business could be encouraged to employ those who have went through this system, otherwise it would all be for naught.

Of course my doubts stem how it could be manipulated for political goals.

At a time when we are expected to work longer, further reducing opportunities for our children, something has to change for the long term.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2014, 10:53 AM

Pretty much what Nom was suggesting ......
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2014, 11:12 AM

I can imagine some young folk having a fit with their leg up at the very notion of this. However, I do think something along those lines is a good idea. Anything that gives them an interest and keeps them off the streets, whilst adding to their character would be of benefit to them in the future.

Don't even think there's many youth clubs around these days. We passed a sort of village hall type building where my partner lives and it lies empty. I asked him what it had been and it was a youth club, now defunct. What a shame.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

31-10-2014, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
I can imagine some young folk having a fit with their leg up at the very notion of this. However, I do think something along those lines is a good idea. Anything that gives them an interest and keeps them off the streets, whilst adding to their character would be of benefit to them in the future.

Don't even think there's many youth clubs around these days. We passed a sort of village hall type building where my partner lives and it lies empty. I asked him what it had been and it was a youth club, now defunct. What a shame.
Good point Alice, dont think there are any round my way now, and not sure how well organizations such as Scouts, Guides, Sea cadets are doing these days, all provided options for social connection outside of school.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2014, 11:34 AM

Good point Alice, dont think there are any round my way now, and not sure how well organizations such as Scouts, Guides, Sea cadets are doing these days, all provided options for social connection outside of school.
Not sure nationally but the brownies have a waiting list here, very popular - put Gracie's name down recently as they have a 2 year waiting list.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2014, 12:04 PM

I never had to do National Service as I went from school into the mining industry and coal miners were exempt from National Service.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top