Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2014, 07:52 PM

Retrement Apartments

Does anyone here live in this type of building, with a house manager ?
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2014, 11:11 PM

Re: Retrement Apartments

Mother-in-Law has lived in apartment for a few years and loves it. Lots of social activities, outings arranged. Security very good, access to building can only be gained with resident permission through entry control system. Live in manager and 24hour emergency Careline. Lift to all floors, private parking, all gardening, window cleaning and maintenance taken care of.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2014, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Does anyone here live in this type of building, with a house manager ?
On the face of it they seem like a good idea, but one needs to research the companies running them very carefully. The management company that runs the McCarthy & Stone retirement apartments (and is 100% owned by McCarthy & Stone) came in for some serious criticisms a few years ago. They were increasing the rents way beyond inflation, charging very high fees for minor repairs, and some other things.

Not sure what happened as they were claiming it was all in the tenancy agreement and of course most of the residents were too old to fully understand all the small print.

Another one I had a bad experience with is Sanctuary Housing, a big company with homes all over England.

Dig deep and take your time if you are considering moving into one of these places.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2014, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Mother-in-Law has lived in apartment for a few years and loves it. Lots of social activities, outings arranged. Security very good, access to building can only be gained with resident permission through entry control system. Live in manager and 24hour emergency Careline. Lift to all floors, private parking, all gardening, window cleaning and maintenance taken care of.
Well at least you gave me a laugh - you made it sound like its all paid for you - whereas in fact we pay for 'everything'.
We have had dodgy people enter here - so the security system is a joke, people just let others in !
As for the house manager - no I cant even go into that one.
The flats are expensive to buy - they sell down the line for peanuts. Then we have the service charge - no its not the dream move at all - unless you've got money and 'plenty' of it - obviously one place is going to be better than another, its a lottery ......
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

01-11-2014, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
On the face of it they seem like a good idea, but one needs to research the companies running them very carefully. The management company that runs the McCarthy & Stone retirement apartments (and is 100% owned by McCarthy & Stone) came in for some serious criticisms a few years ago. They were increasing the rents way beyond inflation, charging very high fees for minor repairs, and some other things.

Not sure what happened as they were claiming it was all in the tenancy agreement and of course most of the residents were too old to fully understand all the small print.
Another one I had a bad experience with is Sanctuary Housing, a big company with homes all over England.

Dig deep and take your time if you are considering moving into one of these places.
You are spot on - people still don't realise that they pay for every single thing, and if you are astute - its a nightmare situation. We didn't see the lease until way down the line when everything was sealed up - relied on the solicitor.
If you fancy a place like this - renting is the best option, at least you have some money behind you to pay for it all !
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2014, 09:40 AM

My Dad did in his last years and it was a lovely place with beautiful views and communal areas like a laundry and places where people could meet and where meals were served at weekends.

It wouldn't suit me thought, far too 'social' and no dogs allowed and I prefer to be around dogs rather than people.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

01-11-2014, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
My Dad did in his last years and it was a lovely place with beautiful views and communal areas like a laundry and places where people could meet and where meals were served at weekends.

It wouldn't suit me thought, far too 'social' and no dogs allowed and I prefer to be around dogs rather than people.
Some are probably OK - the Management will determine that.
As for laundry, yes we have 3 machines for 34 flats. One has been faulty for a year, I have kept on about it, eventually was told the motor was going, that was 4 months ago, we still have it, its not a priority to the management, other things to pay for. I dread the winter, not allowed heating in a tiled room with tiled flooring, have to wear me coat to go there !
comeandgo
The universe
comeandgo is female 

01-11-2014, 09:56 AM

Parents lived in a retirement apartment, (not in the UK) which my father purchased in 2002, it was in a select area and very pleasant. When my father died in 2005 it was left to his four girls along with all the rest of his capital, our mother just having life enjoyment of it. We put her in a luxury care home in 2012 as she was no long capable of looking after herself properly. We sold the apartment, I believe the person who bought is thrilled with the place.
BoyRacer
Scotland,UK
BoyRacer is male  BoyRacer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2014, 10:07 AM

Interesting insight to these types of properties, Patsy.

Nicely countered by others' experiences, but sounds like some serious background homework should be done beforehand.

"Caution before Entering", methinks
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

01-11-2014, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by BoyRacer ->
Interesting insight to these types of properties, Patsy.

Nicely countered by others' experiences, but sounds like some serious background homework should be done beforehand.

"Caution before Entering", methinks
Absolutely !
If you can afford luxury surroundings, you are not bothered by the charges or - how they came about !

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top