Join for free
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 > Last »
comeandgo
The universe
comeandgo is female 

08-11-2014, 02:47 PM

The elderly don't need handling with kid gloves!

All too often some people seem to think the elderly need treating differently to those who are younger. I think this is unpleasant and patronising. If they have the full use of their mental faculties, they are like they ever were, nice, nasty or somewhere in between.

An elderly (85) neighbour of ours pops in from time to time; my husband and I get on with her very well. She reminds me of my maternal Grandmother of whom I was fond. This lady has all her marbles and tells it like it is, which we like. I can be rude to her in a jokey way, and she to me, and we both think it hilarious. Yesterday when she came round she was saying that if she lost her ability to care for her own personal needs she wouldn't wish to live any longer. I told her to give me the heads up and I would be more than happy to put her out of her misery with a pillow over her face. She promised to be sure to let me know!

I know my children will continue to treat me in the same way as they always do, jokey 'rude', which is great.

How do you like to be treated, by those who are younger than you?
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2014, 03:01 PM

Re: The elderly don't need handling with kid gloves!

My experience with younger people is that they don't treat me any differently to one of their friends - particularly my daughter in law Paula - she's 32 and we have some right laughs together - go swimming - hill walking. She's like a best friend.

I think it could be the message you give out.

Me? - I'm young at heart.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2014, 03:02 PM

I'd hate to be treated like an old codger! I'm very young minded and get on well with younger people.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2014, 03:13 PM

CG - depends on yer personality doesn't it.
Theres nothing about me that's old, I wont allow it, I may be unsteady on me feet but have been for many years - doesn't mean I've got to give in to it
There was a woman on a quiz last week she looked fine but then said I'm 75 and a 'half' !! Cringe bloomin cringe !
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2014, 03:21 PM

I don't feel that I am being treated any different by the younger generation. However, I do think some of the older generation tend to treat the younger generation condescendingly. I suppose the message you send out can be also what you receive in return.

My son and daughter are like best friends to me, I don't think I have grown old and motherly, far from it We have the same sense of humour and very often end up with tears of laughter streaming down our cheeks
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2014, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
I'd hate to be treated like an old codger! I'm very young minded and get on well with younger people.
We are obviously on the same page.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2014, 04:57 PM

What really really annoys me is when sometimes I say something to a stranger and they say "bless" as if I've said something unbearably cute and dotty. They tend to use that stupid voice they would use on kittens and small babies. I could smash their heads in - ah, bless.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2014, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by eccles ->
What really really annoys me is when sometimes I say something to a stranger and they say "bless" as if I've said something unbearably cute and dotty. They tend to use that stupid voice they would use on kittens and small babies. I could smash their heads in - ah, bless.
Aaarrrgh !!! That is so irritating !
comeandgo
The universe
comeandgo is female 

08-11-2014, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Aaarrrgh !!! That is so irritating !
Tell me about it!!!!! I get that a lot even though people tell me I don't look my age!
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2014, 05:11 PM

I get called Darlin" a lot, by shop assistants, never used to .

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top