Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
donnamarie
RI, USA
donnamarie is female 

28-11-2014, 09:13 PM

Hippys in the UK?

I'm 57, so I just missed the hippy movement during the 60's in America. I was wondering if it was just an American thing. I've heard of Mods and Rockers in England, but not the hippies. For instance, I think the band, The Who, were considered Mods, and the Beatles were considered Rockers.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2014, 09:39 PM

Re: Hippys in the UK?

I was a hippy! Cowbells 'n' all!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2014, 09:46 PM

I'm 69 and I was too old to be a hippy but they were plentiful here, I used to be halfway between a mod and a rocker, wore suits no leather jackets, wore winkle picker shoes and sometimes suede shoes, a real mixed up kid, I liked the Beatles and the Rolling Stones and dare I say it Frank Sinatra.
My youngest brother was a dedicated hippy, he never forgave Bob Dylan for going all commercial saying he was bought off and ordered not to sing anymore protest songs, haven't a clue what he was on about, who's Bob Dylan anyway?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2014, 09:48 PM

lovely picture Twiz, ooooh you sexy thing!
donnamarie
RI, USA
donnamarie is female 

28-11-2014, 10:04 PM

Hi Jem. Bob Dylan was an American folksinger/songwriter that was very popular during the mid 1960's, if memory serves.He couldn't sing very well, imo, but he was a prodigious writer. He caused an outcry when he started using electric guitars; the purists called him a sellout.
donnamarie
RI, USA
donnamarie is female 

28-11-2014, 10:09 PM

@Twizard...lovely old picture. Is that a peasant blouse you are wearing? I had a couple of them in the 1970s.
donnamarie
RI, USA
donnamarie is female 

28-11-2014, 10:11 PM

@Jem...what the heck are winkle picker shoes? Are they like pointy shoes you wear to the seashore to kick up periwinkles?lol.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2014, 10:35 PM

When we first moved to the Isle of Wight, fourteen years ago, there were a few remnants of Hippy types here. Not sure if they were refugees from the mainland or what....
donnamarie
RI, USA
donnamarie is female 

29-11-2014, 03:17 AM

Hi Jeb, I looked up winkle pickers. My guess was close.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2014, 06:25 AM

For a brief period i was an imitation Hippy, liked the music and fashion of the time 66-68 but Psychedelia came along and added to heavy music i evolved into denim man. Bye bye flares, and tye dye T shirts, hello Levis, Wranglers, trainers, Led Zeppelin, Captain Beefheart, Pink Floyd.and the Velvet Underground.

Finally discovering Krautrock and Prog Rock, i found my natural level.

I do remember decked out in my home made hippy keep on trucking trousers and purple shirt, thinking i was the bee`s knees going to the Hexham Gathering ( Music Festival) and ending up spending the time chatting up a beautiful hippy chick (Gretchen, an American). I was thirteen she must have been laughing at this dopey youth she must have been in her mid twenties. ( shy bairns get nowt)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top