Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2014, 01:03 AM

A new cooker.

Peculiar thing happened tonight.
I was cleaning the bottom of my oven and noticed what I thought was a small hole in the oven floor. The lining is black so I couldn't see clearly enough, so went and got a torch to get a better light in there. Sure enough, there was a tiny hole. Haven't got a clue how that's happened or how long its been there even, but I'm wondering if its safe to use now? Or maybe it will affect oven temperature even?

I think I'd better look for a new cooker, just what I could do without on top of Christmas! Where's the best place to look do you reckon, and do you think I stand any chance of getting it delivered before Christmas now?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2014, 09:43 AM

Re: A new cooker.

What a strange thing to happen, Mups.

I would be inclined to contact the makers first and ask them about it - I very much doubt you would have a new one delivered before Christmas.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2014, 10:03 AM

If possible a simple stainless steel nut bolt and 2 washers would seal it up, is it round or ragged. The first might indicate its manufactured, the second some kind of fault. I agree with ST about contacting the manufacturers, seems drastic to change it. But of course peace of mind is all important.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2014, 11:10 AM

Yes agree - speak to someone first, may not be a problem, may be able to have sealed until you can get a new one after Christmas ......
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2014, 12:22 PM

I wouldn't have thought it was much of a worry if it was only a small hole in the floor - heat rises so you won't lose much heat from it.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2014, 12:39 PM

I wouldn't worry about it . I have a black silicone oven sheet on the bottom of my oven, one of those might help to keep the heat in.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2014, 10:04 PM

I decided to have a quick look round Currys this morning, just to get an idea of current cookers and prices.
They had one I quite liked but it was in black. I asked the salesman if it also came in white, so he looked on Currys website and informed me it did - BUT, it was £100 more!!! I asked why the huge price difference, as it was exactly the same make and model, but the twit just shrugged and said that's how it was.
I then asked him if would pay that price difference if he was wanted a car in blue instead of green, to which he admitted he wouldn't pay extra for a different colour.
So I asked him if he would please phone his supplier incase it was an error, but he refused to enquire for me.
So today, Curry's lost a customer!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

17-12-2014, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I wouldn't have thought it was much of a worry if it was only a small hole in the floor - heat rises so you won't lose much heat from it.

It weren't so much that Bruce, it was more that I was a bit concerned about what was underneath the hole. If fat or liquid splashed or boiled over and it went down the hole, where would it go? Would it go onto the electrics? I didn't know if would be safe.
wishbone
south wales
wishbone is male  wishbone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2014, 10:25 PM

mups ....post #7

try Euronics online we've had all our electrical goods from them and their
prices are very reasonable. plus free delivery in most cases.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

17-12-2014, 10:36 PM

Oh, thanks Wishbone, I'll have a look.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top