Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2014, 11:41 AM

The Death Penalty

I've just read that Pakistan has reinstated the death penalty for terrorists after the Atrocity in Peshawar....The same thing could easily happen here in Britain,all it needs is one mad Taliban militant...What's Your thoughts on Britain doing the same?
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2014, 12:00 PM

Re: The Death Penalty

No,No No way. Once there is a death penalty it cannot be limited. Mistakes will happen as we have seen over history. Try doing jury service if there was one-that is a heavy load.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2014, 12:11 PM

No that would be one thing you would see me marching and demonstrating against. We are not the same as some of these countries, we have grown up and learned that capital and even corporal punishments do not work and are needed in our society.

Part of the problem in places where terrorists are coming from is the population are brutalised to a point they see nothing wrong with killing others. We need to tread very carefully we don't make our society so brutal people see they have nothing to lose, that's part of the problem with our home grown terrorists they are generally outside on the limits of our society and do not feel part of it all.
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2014, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
No,No No way. Once there is a death penalty it cannot be limited. Mistakes will happen as we have seen over history. Try doing jury service if there was one-that is a heavy load.
+ 1 especially if it is latter discovered there was a miscarriage of justice.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2014, 12:14 PM

What can I say? the previous messages said it all. The death penalty is barbaric, it is the mark of a civilised country that you don't have legalised state sanctioned murder.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2014, 12:32 PM

Yes,I too am a pacifist and very much against Capital punishment...But how would I feel if terrorists entered My local Childrens/G.Childrens School and massacred Them all in the Name of whatever Religion...I honestly can't answer that question...Can You?....Should these terrorists be captured and put in jail to await trial?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2014, 12:36 PM

If it is wrong for one person to kill it is wrong for all people to kill therefore it is illogical to use killing as a form of punishment for someone who has killed.
greg
nottingham-Derby Border
greg is male  greg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2014, 12:41 PM

Im still with the above posters and a NO,but this is assuming 1:it doesnt personally affect me.2:it doesnt get more prolific.

Becoming more and more a tough call for me.
baddie murders my family,my friends etc and is seen on video doing it then my reaction would be to kill them.and i would,make no mistake.

Then on the otherside,if not then what do you do with them?.are you willing to pay for their upkeep for the next 30+ years,do you perhaps think there will only be a "few",if theres more and more,100's, each year where do you keep them?.

How long until their barbarism affects many many uk households and retaliation then involves the very people we have entrusted to keep them locked up(prison system),as they would then become their protectors,there is an outside chance of countrywide meltdown/split opinion etc etc...

Tbh its one dilemma i pray i never have to face.but this world is certainly heading for a violent end unless something is found to fix it all.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2014, 12:48 PM

I don't have a moral issue with capital punishment. I think that if someone takes it upon themselves to deliberately kill another person, then they have placed themselves outside society's protection and society has no responsibility to feed, care and house them.
My problem with capital punishment is threefold - firstly our judicial system is just not good enough in many cases to guarantee that the person found guilty is actually guilty; secondly that mistakes, once made cannot be rectified (better scumbags live than an innocent person die); and, thirdly that there does not yet seem to be a humane method of execution for those deemed worthy of it.
Maybe a halfway house would be to bring capital punishment back (once a 100% humane method is found) only for those cases where there is absolutely no doubt whatever that they were 100% guilty (eg the killers of Lee Rigby).
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2014, 01:06 PM

In terrorism cases and child murders where there is absolutely no doubt, then, yes ,I think the death penalty should be used. Any doubts and they should get whole life sentences - not 7 or 8 years as seems to be the case now.
I have debated this many times on a true crime forum with a cross section of society and many people are for it providing it can be done quickly.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top