Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2014, 03:07 PM

Silence !

Silence = Noun = Complete absence of sound.

But does it exist ?

Certainly not during daylight hours - life is noisy !

Even at night, in the depth of winter in the middle of the North Yorkshire Moors it is not silent. There are murmurings and rustlings all about. Lying in bed with all the double glazed windows closed - there still are sounds. Distant traffic, the comforting creaking of the sleeping house.

In a vacuum? Maybe - but how would you know ? Put a man in space suit into a vacuum - instant sound. His breathing, his heartbeat, the hum of whatever measuring instruments he took in there with him.

So - does silence actually exist ?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2014, 03:09 PM

Re: Silence !

'The sound of silence' - silence does not exist is my thinking
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2014, 03:16 PM

Being a Quaker I spend a fair bit of time in silence, I can absolutely say it doesn't exist - some people make some very worrying bodily noises !

Even in nature it would be hard to find I believe but how about in space ? it looks quite quiet above us.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2014, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Being a Quaker I spend a fair bit of time in silence, I can absolutely say it doesn't exist - some people make some very worrying bodily noises !

Even in nature it would be hard to find I believe but how about in space ? it looks quite quiet above us.

Mmmm - I wonder ........
Had a think, I would say yes - must be quiet up there - how lovely ......
Fender Bender
By the pc
Fender Bender is male  Fender Bender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2014, 03:23 PM

Sorry to disagree, but yes, it does exist. Without wishing to be funny, I "heard" it once. I can remember exactly where I was standing, and how scary it was...
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

17-12-2014, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Fender Bender ->
Sorry to disagree, but yes, it does exist. Without wishing to be funny, I "heard" it once. I can remember exactly where I was standing, and how scary it was...
I can see it would be a bit scary - unless you were up there in space ........
Fender Bender
By the pc
Fender Bender is male  Fender Bender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2014, 03:29 PM

The immediate thought was "somethings wrong!"

Fair enough, there must have been some sound that I could not hear, so maybe it was not true silence, just silence to me.

Space silence could be fun unless you were Major Tom!
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2014, 03:32 PM

Well, I have achieved perfect peace thanks to ear plugs. Don't tell 'her' but she don't half snore.
greg
nottingham-Derby Border
greg is male  greg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2014, 03:32 PM

for me it can never exist and yet is one of my ultimate desires.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2014, 04:12 PM

Down a coal mine gets pretty close when you are on your own. If you turn your lamp off it's pitch black, not even the slightest hint of light.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top