Join for free
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 08:28 PM

Gym warning

Have you been wasting your time going to the Gym two or three times a week when you could have been quaffing the Gym in a glass. Cheaper and less sweaty try this.

"New research has found that the physical benefits of a glass of red wine could be the equivalent of spending an hour in the gym.

The study, conducted by Canada’s University of Alberta, discovered that resveratrol, a compound found in red wine, can improve physical performance, heart function and muscle strength.

"I think resveratrol could help patient populations who want to exercise but are physically incapable," said lead researcher Jason Dyck.
"Resveratrol could mimic exercise for them or improve the benefits of the modest amount of exercise that they can do."

The health benefits of red wine have been well documented, with studies also showing it may protect against diabetes.

And remember – everything in moderation. Resveratrol is also found in peanut butter, dark chocolate, blueberries and red grapes, so don’t be afraid to mix it up.

But Merlot over a medicine ball is definitely something we can get on board with."
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 08:32 PM

Re: Gym warning

Good stuff! Just opening a bottle, and wondering if I can replace an hour at the gym for every glass I have tonight…
Markey1
London
Markey1 is male  Markey1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 08:37 PM

Don't hardly drink , but do go to the gym six days a week
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 08:47 PM

Think I'll stick with the gym - can't drink red wine, it makes me do weird things!
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 08:51 PM

Usually the benefits relating to red wine mean no more than one small glass a day.
I never find this is quite enough.
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Anita ->
Usually the benefits relating to red wine mean no more than one small glass a day.
I never find this is quite enough.
Ah I know that feeling well, if life could be lived in that one and half glasses of red wine mood. Less would not achieve it, more would destroy it.

The mood where you mourn but remember with affection the youth you had and also mourn the youth you could have had, regretting not the things you did but the things you didn’t do, the things you were too cowardly to address, too busy making a living to make a life, too busy to live where the air is purest.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 10:57 PM

I have heard a lot of good things about red wine over the years VM, I prefer a little exercise, never more than 40 minutes in the house, plus any walking I do in the course of my day, and a couple of glasses of port in the evening time.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 11:13 PM

The subject of red wine was discussed in a health programme on BBC 2 not long ago and apparently not all red wine is beneficial only that which is made from grapes containing reasonable amounts of resveratrol . I understand Pinot Noir is one of them.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2015, 01:15 AM

This is interesting... I'm not a red wine drinker but could become one.

So is Pinot Noir the wine to buy?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2015, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
This is interesting... I'm not a red wine drinker but could become one.

So is Pinot Noir the wine to buy?
Only if you like the taste Carole otherwise drinking it would be like taking medicine.

I rarely drink wine these days. Living alone I have the problem of what do I do with a bottle of wine once opened, the temptation is to drink more than I should .
If I do drink red wine I tend to go for Cabernet Sauvigon .

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top