Join for free
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2015, 11:32 AM

Common as Duck.

Ive been asked about photographing birds, and usually give the advice to start with a local pond with ducks as subject matter.

At this time of year they are in prime condition their plumage is colourful and they are active and displaying and pair bonding. They are also confiding, so quietly sitting will often find them more willing to approach you..

Wigeon. Soon to depart with only a few that breed in the UK, mainly Scotland.

Pochard. Many come from Eastern Europe and Russia to winter here, still only about 500 breeding pairs in the UK

Mallard our most common duck.

Tufted duck.

Garganey return too the UK in March then leave around July rare and secretive breeder, less than a 100 pairs.

Blue-winged teal, a rare visitor to the UK from the USA.

Red-crested pochard, possible escaped bird or a natural migrant not easy to know.

Agent
north east
Agent is male  Agent has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2015, 11:47 AM

Re: Common as Duck.

Brilliant pic's.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2015, 11:57 AM

Lovely photos Nom, it must be very rewarding to be able to spot so many different breeds of duck.

This is probably a silly question but ..... do different breeds of duck have different 'quacks' and if so, are you able to recognise a duck by its quack?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2015, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Lovely photos Nom, it must be very rewarding to be able to spot so many different breeds of duck.

This is probably a silly question but ..... do different breeds of duck have different 'quacks' and if so, are you able to recognise a duck by its quack?
Many have calls Mags, as well as quacks, and i can identify many but not all as my hearing is much diminished these days. I tend to find Mallards the most vocal.

Most of these come from St Marys island and Killy Lake 2 of my recording patches.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2015, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Many have calls Mags, as well as quacks, and i can identify many but not all as my hearing is much diminished these days. I tend to find Mallards the most vocal.

Most of these come from St Marys island and Killy Lake 2 of my recording patches.
Thanks Nom, that's very interesting to know ...
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2015, 01:40 PM

Gawd love a duck I say - they are all smashing
Love your title thread too
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2015, 02:57 PM

Great pics Nom
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

02-03-2015, 07:22 AM

Thanks Agent, Alice, Patsy and Mags.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top