Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2015, 06:41 AM

Moral dilemma

Leading on from another thread..

Be very honest please. No saints required .

Who has ever been in the moral dilemma and turned in a family member , loved one or even good friend for a crime.

What would it take for you to turn them in ? A bit or shoplifting, stealing a car, or GBH?

How far would go in turning a blind eye before you picked up the phone and called the police?

If you did what kind of problem did it cause among your family , were you scared of reprisals?
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2015, 07:57 AM

Re: Moral dilemma

Years ago there was a local murder in town. The identikit picture was the double of my new brother in law. I phoned the Police and told them. Thankfully it wasn't him, but I couldn't have not done that. He did not know anything about it.

I have also reported medical staff acting unprofessionally at work as I witnessed an incident which I spoke to Infection Control about. The Lead Consultant was told and it was discussed at the trauma meeting with all the doctors the next morning. I could not have witnessed it and done nothing about it. That would be wrong.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2015, 09:04 AM

Turned my Uncle in for benefit fraud, taught me a lesson don't do things like that again. He was told who turned him in, and only had to pay it back at a rate of 10p a month ! So family was harmed and for nothing really.

Crimes that harm people I think I would still turn family in for but money and the like I am not so sure any more.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2015, 09:10 AM

Very difficult, for me it would depend on the circumstances of the crime, its consequences and the likelihood of it being repeated. I did once catch an elderly lady stealing something and I didn't report it but spoke to her about it.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2015, 09:19 AM

I wouldn't do it unless I was absolutely certain it was that person or unless I had witnessed something that made me certain they were very likely to have done it.
I wouldn't do it for a minor crime, say if a teenager stole something but I would do my utmost to make sure it didn't happen again and to see that the understood that it's not the answer and that they had to repair the wrong.
Sometimes petty crime can be when a youngster is struggling mentally and that would need addressing.
If someone I know killed someone and I was sure, yes I would go to the police as its so serious. They are likely to be a threat to others.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2015, 09:56 AM

Any one I know that has done harm to someone - I wouldn't hesitate to turn them in
Fortunately - not happened ......
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2015, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Any one I know that has done harm to someone - I wouldn't hesitate to turn them in
Fortunately - not happened ......
Same here, Patsy, never needed to as yet.
Markey1
London
Markey1 is male  Markey1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2015, 05:25 PM

never grass anyone up , it may come back a bite you
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2015, 06:00 PM

I reported an in-law to the authorities for being cruel to her children, which I witnessed several times, her husband was afraid of her and asked me to. The children were so traumatized the little boy would bang his head against the wall for hours and the girl would creep into their bedroom at night and sleep on the floor just to try to be near them. Someone, told her who reported it and all hell broke loose.
Years later when a younger daughter turned junkie the grandparents got custody of her children, the oldest daughter also had several children who also ended up in their care, heaven knows what went on there and how they turned out!
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2015, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Markey1 ->
never grass anyone up , it may come back a bite you
Anyone? No matter what they might have done?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top