Join for free
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 > Last »
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2015, 08:15 PM

Giving to the Poor

Australia has just announced savage cut backs to its foreign aid budget in light of pre-recessions times and tight home budgets.

so many poor nations in Africa, the Far East and the South Pacific will be significantly disadvantaged by this cut in foreign aid.

A case of "charity begins at home" or "we can't help you in the future if we go down the gurgler now"? which ever way we are being asked to tighten our belts and therefore be less charitable - is this a good christian principle? AND do we really need all the clutter we surround ourselves with?
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2015, 08:34 PM

Re: Giving to the Poor

Give to those from whom business is good and failing that pay for weapons in case they support us in future.

Sorry to be so cynical
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2015, 08:48 PM

Australia is not a compassionate nation to my mind
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2015, 08:53 PM

Family come first with me Gumbud, and then local charities.
I never give money that will end up overseas, it will probably be used to put a gun in somebody's hands.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2015, 09:01 PM

fair comment in some ways - but I think the reputable aid organisations do everything in their powers to ensure this doesn't happen but that is not the issue here - the issue is do we who believe in giving aid give less because of our own financial issues?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2015, 09:02 PM

If all we had given in the past had been used efficiently we would not be still giving now IMO too much has been given to make people rich and too much has gone towards warfare. We even give to country who has their own space programme ! how about they use that money to help their own poor ?
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2015, 10:24 PM

I think there has to come a time when we say .no more.

We know that much of the money we donate is misused and abused. Recently I was gobsmacked to hear that the EU would be giving aid to Zimbabwe after the way white farmers were told leave or die just a few years ago.

http://www.theguardian.com/global-de...rt-mugabe-thaw
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2015, 11:10 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, but, in the Bible, charitable acts were performed on folks who were visible, whom were chanced upon, now the folks who need charity appear in a news reel, or on a screen, or printed on a posted plastic bag, it is difficult to suss out who needs what, and where.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2015, 11:39 PM

Just an example

We give to India millions of pounds a year for a few more years yet, to help the poor. What does India spend it on???? sending rockets into space.
I think it is up to individual countries to look after their own poor , you never see a government representative without shoes on, not unless they are driving expensive cars.

If there is a natural disaster then that is different when short term aid can help, but to give without knowing actually where and how much is passed onto the poor then count me out.

My advice before giving to ANY charity is to ask what their admin costs are in the £. I think that will shock most people.

My wife and kids and grandchildren come first either while I am alive or after I am dead

Take a look at the RSPCA head quarters in Horsham Surrey

One of the most expensive areas in the UK. WHY? they could move with smaller premises to a less expensive part of the country.

Where does the money come from to keep this place going?
your donations of course, they claim they are not government funded

Why don't they just use huts and spend the money on the animals? I leave it up to you
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2015, 05:44 AM

Time to pull in our horns for a while, correct our economy and redress the balance in the UK first. When back on a stable footing then it will be time to look after those in need abroad. But making sure any aid goes to those that need it, and not into the wrong coffers. Nor should aid be used for political gain to line pockets at home.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top