Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2015, 06:38 PM

How unfair is this?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/571...efused-UK-visa

'Romanians can bring family to UK but I CAN'T' Brit squash champ fuming after visa refusal

A FORMER British squash champion is fuming after being told she CAN'T bring her family back home to the UK after her Australian husband was refused a visa.

Cassie Thomas, who was awarded an MBE, left England in 2010 but despite owning a house in Horsford, near Norwich and her civil engineer husband Matt being guaranteed a good job in Britain, he has been refused entry.

The stunned couple were told by the Home Office that Mr Thomas' application will not be granted because he left the UK for Australia more than two years ago through "personal choice".

Mrs Thomas, who was born in North Walsham, Norfolk and was formerly Cassie Jackman, was a world number one squash player and a six-times British champion.

The mother-of-two said she is shocked, angry and "disgusted" at the bombshell snub.

After five years Down Under, the couple had decided to move back to Norfolk where Cassie still has a lot of close family and good friends.

Mrs Thomas, talking from her home in Melbourne, said: "I know immigration is a big issue over there, especially with the coming election.

"Because there is no control over people from the EU coming into Britain, they are targeting non-EU people instead, to try and keep immigration numbers down.

"My husband is from a Commonwealth country for heaven's sake.

"We have a house in Norfolk, he has a job waiting for him.

"He's never claimed benefits and we've always paid our taxes.

"The girls and I were born in Norfolk and I've represented my country at world level - what more do they want?

"Why is it OK for a Romanian to bring his family to Britain, but I can't bring mine?"

The couple met while Mr Thomas was in Britain playing cricket for a Norfolk village team and were married in 2004.

He worked for civil engineering firm Trell, in Saham Toney, near Watton, where managing director Barry Mower said there was a guaranteed job waiting for him if he returned.

Mrs Thomas, who retired from playing squash in December 2004 due to a serious back injury, said an immigration lawyer had advised them that an appeal would be lengthy, costly and unlikely to succeed.

A Home Office spokesman said: "We do not routinely comment on individual cases."
tina
Lincolnshire
tina is female  tina has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2015, 06:43 PM

Re: How unfair is this?

what a disgrace when we let in some of the dregs of the world.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2015, 07:00 PM

Hear similar storys too often - really gets on me nerves - its a crazy world
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2015, 07:09 PM

I'm not commenting
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2015, 07:38 PM

Why can't immigration be on merit rather than country of origin?
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2015, 08:14 PM

There are many British who marry Turkish men, African men etc, they manage to get visas for them to live in the UK, yet this family who have a house in UK and a good job for the husband to come to are refused, utterly crazy.........and wrong.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2015, 08:29 PM

Start a www petition, seems to work wonders!
Why don't the political leaders address this kind of nonsense instead of the stuff they talk about.
People actually CARE about injustice like this
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2015, 08:29 PM

Stupid laws that allow this kind of thing to happen should be corrected as quickly as possible before it's too late, can you blame people being outraged at the likes of this?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2015, 08:35 PM

The further we get entwined in the laws of the EU more stories like this one will come to light. For immigration to benefit Britain, we need to have the right to choose from all corners of the world, as we have always done. Instead, we are more than filling our quota from the EU almost exclusively.
Australia is part of our commonwealth for Gods sake.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2015, 09:16 PM

I'm a bit baffled.
I know non EU foreign husbands of British wives can have problems but I had always thought Commonwealth country residents had no trouble.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top