Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2015, 09:12 PM

Choking

The wife and me were talking about choking and how easy it is to get something caught in your throat.
When we were only six months married we were having sunday dinner together and a piece of meat caught in her throat, I had just passed my 20th birthday and hadn’t a clue what to do, I mean you never think things like that could really happen especially when you’re young, she was turning all colours, eventually I gave her a sharp clap on the back and luckily out it popped, I know it’s not the correct procedure but maybe I had seen it on TV or in a film and just went with it. When I think of how close to death she was then I shudder, needless to say we have always been careful ever since. Does everyone here know what to do if you see someone choking?

Here are some famous people who are supposed to have choked to death, Cass Elliot did not choke to death as is believed by many she died of a heart attack in a London flat, it was assumed she choked when a ham sandwich was found near her.

• Alexander Alekhine - 24 March 1946 (53) - Autopsy indicates heart attack, but supposed witness claimed choking.
• Attila the Hun - 453 (47) - Although cause of death is disputed.
• Tommy Dorsey - 26 November 1956 (51)
• Jimmie Foxx - 21 July 1967 (59)
• Tennessee Williams - 25 February 1983 (71)
• Subroto Mukerjee 1960
• Christy Brown 1981
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2015, 09:51 PM

Re: Choking

Jem, that must have been very frightening for you both all those years ago

There is some good information regarding choking on the NHS Choices site which may be worth remembering if it should happen to anyone ...

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/2301.aspx?categoryid=72
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2015, 09:54 PM

I think it's worth taking a wee first aid course which is useful. You'll get taught the Heimlich Manoeuvre. Hope I never have to use it, but it was an interesting course by the St Johns Ambulance Brigade. Choking is terrifying.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2015, 09:57 PM

When I was about ten years old, I was participating in my favourite pass time [ upstairs looking out of the window, watching the steam trains on the nearby railway line] when I heard my Dad coughing. It was going on for a while before I realised he was in difficulty. There was only him and me in the house at the time. I rushed downstairs to find him gasping in the kitchen, his face was turning purple and with his last ounce of strength he gestured with his thumb behind him. I smashed my hand as hard as I could across his shoulder blades and with his final cough, he spat something into the sink. The colour returned to his face and with a shaky voice he thanked me......We never spoke about the incident again, but I always wondered what the outcome might have been had I not been there. I'm glad I was...
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2015, 10:01 PM

That's a very useful link and I have it bookmarked, thank you Mags. It can happen so quickly and can be so tragic, after my very lucky experience it's as well to let others know and be aware of it.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

27-04-2015, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
When I was about ten years old, I was participating in my favourite pass time [ upstairs looking out of the window, watching the steam trains on the nearby railway line] when I heard my Dad coughing. It was going on for a while before I realised he was in difficulty. There was only him and me in the house at the time. I rushed downstairs to find him gasping in the kitchen, his face was turning purple and with his last ounce of strength he gestured with his thumb behind him. I smashed my hand as hard as I could across his shoulder blades and with his final cough, he spat something into the sink. The colour returned to his face and with a shaky voice he thanked me......We never spoke about the incident again, but I always wondered what the outcome might have been had I not been there. I'm glad I was...
Just luck again Robert, terrible to think if we hadn't been there.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2015, 10:06 PM

Even when you think you may choke on something you go into a panic! It's a horrible feeling. Thank goodness your family lived to tell the tale.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2015, 10:26 PM

I was scared of my grandchildren choking partly because they were raised on BLW (Baby Led Weaning so they were not fed on mashed up baby food ) My nurse/DIL gave me a demonstration and made sure I knew what to do.

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/a9298/fi...ustrated-guide
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 05:40 AM

Sheila has had a few choking fits throughout our married life and I adopt the wait and see attitude. I've never had to intervene yet but I know what to do if necessary.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 06:34 AM

Good post Jem.

I took a first aid course years ago. Most of it Ive never had to use including the choking aid.
Hopefully I never will have to but I think at least if I did witness a person in need I would have a basic idea of what to do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top