Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 08:40 AM

New car

I think I mentioned somewhere that I was thinking of having a new car - something small & economical. We've found one.

We went to test drive a Nissan Micra yesterday afternoon. Though the driving position was good and it felt comfortable, I wasn’t really too impressed with the basic model because it didn't have a lot of the features I wanted - air con etc....

The salesman then pointed out another one to us that we might be more interested in. It was an ex demo model that’s been used for test drives – only 6 months old. A top of the range Micra Dig-S Tekna. He let us have it £3,000 cheaper than the new price and threw us in an extra years warranty so we wouldn’t lose any guarantee. It’s a great little car – it’s got cruise control and temperature control, parking sensors (very handy for me) It’s got Bluetooth and lots of other fancy stuff..

We’ve paid a deposit and fetch it on Thursday.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 08:43 AM

Re: New car

Oh! I forgot to mention - one thing's a bit strange - it hasn't got any ignition keys. All there is, is a button to press at the side of the steering wheel to start it. It operates from some sort of radar stick that is on the ring with the door key.

I wondered if anybody on here has a car with no ignition keys?
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 08:53 AM

My friend´s car doesn´t have ignition keys Carol, it´s a BMW, she is happy enough with it.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 08:58 AM

Fab Carol !
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 08:59 AM

Very exciting Carole you must post a photograph..
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 09:00 AM

I expect it will seem strange at first without a key, but I expect you'll get used to it. If you like everything else about the car, I'm sure it will be fine Carol.
I got a little Vauxhall Agila a couple of months ago, and other than the fact they don't have a spare wheel, I like it. Does yours have a spare wheel or that silly gunky stuff?
DerekP
Leeds, United Kingdom
DerekP is male  DerekP has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 09:30 AM

Exciting times, Carol. Bet you can't wait till Thursday.

My Renault hasn't got an ignition key. It hasn't got a traditional handbrake either which was very strange getting used to. The brake is automatically applied when you turn off the ignition and you simply pull a small lever on the dashboard to apply the brake when the engine is running.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 09:34 AM

Is that the way it is then - newer cars do 'not' have spare wheels, if so why ?
What happens in an emergency then ?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Oh! I forgot to mention - one thing's a bit strange - it hasn't got any ignition keys. All there is, is a button to press at the side of the steering wheel to start it. It operates from some sort of radar stick that is on the ring with the door key.

I wondered if anybody on here has a car with no ignition keys?
We have a Renault Scenic (08) which doesn't have an ignition key - it's started with a key 'card'.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 10:24 AM

We gave up on trying to get a new car - for the time being anyway. Dianne loves our diesel golf plus and we would have liked another .... BUT.....
everyone has warned us off having another diesel because of expensive problems with the particulate filter when you do a lot of short runs.

OK, we looked at petrol engined cars, but the new VWs had electric handbrakes which are problematic. Most other cars come equippd with
loads of useless gadgets that I would never use - I mean what the hell is 'bluetooth' - if not some disease of the teeth? Parking sensors, rear view camera, sat navs , the ability to download war games and play simultaneously with every sentient being in the universe while getting 56 mpg. Damn it, I've been driving for almost 50 years , I can park a car, reverse it into a drive and read a map. I've managed perfectly well without all this junk.

I do insist on having a spare wheel.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top