Join for free
DerekP
Leeds, United Kingdom
DerekP is male  DerekP has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 10:31 AM

Changing mobile phones - is it worth it?

Yesterday I decided to to change my mobile phone contract onto a much cheaper one. I wanted to keep the same phone number and was told I needed to contact my current provider to obtain a PAC code which I had to give to my new provider.

I rang my old provider "EE" and was pleasantly surprised when I was offered the opportunity to speak to the department that dealt with customers leaving EE by simply pressing number 4 on my keypad. Sounded like a straightforward process. I did this and was told that I was in a queue. After 5 minutes my call was answered and I was asked a number of security questions before they would deal with my request. That done, they said they would put me through to the department which would deal with my request. Back into a queue again for a further 4 minutes. Another real person answered and I was asked more security questions. Again, they said I needed to speak to another department and put me on hold. More Beethoven and more recorded messages telling me I was in a queue. By now I was fuming having been on the phone for for almost 15 minutes. I was hit by the realisation that this is the process EE uses to frustrate their departing customers into putting the phone down and therefore not moving to another supplier. I admit I was tempted to do this but gritted my teeth and held on. Finally the phone was answered and the man apologised for the length of time I had been kept waiting. "That's alright, I haven't been waiting long" I told him and he actually laughed out loud knowing full well that I was lying. More security questions then I was finally given the PAC code I had rung for.

I bet this process would have taken a fraction of the time if I had rung them to place an order.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 10:54 AM

Re: Changing mobile phones - is it worth it?

Derek It really annoys me when these companies treat me as though my time is of no importance . They are getting paid for their time I am not.

I tend to email 'contact us' rather than telephone only to be given the run around...
DerekP
Leeds, United Kingdom
DerekP is male  DerekP has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 11:06 AM

Hi Meg, I contacted HMRC by email in July 2015 and got a reply in February this year. (That's the truth) I'm glad I wasn't kept on the phone that long!!!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by DerekP ->
Hi Meg, I contacted HMRC by email in July 2015 and got a reply in February this year. (That's the truth) I'm glad I wasn't kept on the phone that long!!!
oh dear ....
DerekP
Leeds, United Kingdom

28-04-2015, 11:11 AM

I meant to say July 2014. (I haven't perfected time travel yet)
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 01:48 PM

Thank gawd they changed the rules here so the subscriber 'owns' the number (home and mobile) so to change your provider and keep the same number is just a question of telling the new company what the number is and they get it for you.

That's assuming that you don't have an unexpired contract, not sure what happens there but the number is definitely your property. One on my happiest moments was when I was able to transfer my home number of 35 years to VOIP and tell Telstra where to stick their line rental (I didn't actually just figuratively )
DerekP
Leeds, United Kingdom

28-04-2015, 05:30 PM

Just goes to show the Aussies have more common sense than us Brits. Same with their immigration policy.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top