Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 08:32 AM

Bing Fights Back

We all know about Google. It's sheer size and influence is mind boggling but even so Bing is taking a growing share of the search and is gaining ground. Slowly but surely Bing is increasing it's share of the search market.

Originally Posted by SiteProNews
over the course of the past year Bing’s share of desktop searches has grown 10 percent
Originally Posted by Microsoft
Microsoft has integrated the search engine into its ever-popular Office Online product. This allows Office users to search Bing without ever leaving the program.
This is a FREE product and a pretty powerful one at that. All you need to use the above is a Microsoft account (hotmail).

Collaborate for free with online versions of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and OneNote. Save documents, spreadsheets, and presentations online
Microsoft has also beefed up it's image search ...

Recently, Bing enhanced its image search to provide users with related search options, additional sizes of the image, pages that contain the image, as well as Pinterest collections in which the image is featured.
Google is not to be trusted these days.

In a surprising turn of events, however, Bing has slowly but surely been gaining traction over the years and now officially controls over 20 percent of the market, according to a recent ComScore report. 20.1% to be exact. This is definitely not good news for Google, especially considering that the company recently came under fire for manipulating search results to favor their own services.
I welcome other search engines as Google's apparent monoploy is dangerous in my view. Such power invariably corrupts and there are so many concerns over Google's business practices these days.

Read the article fully here ...
http://www.sitepronews.com/2015/05/2...les-dominance/
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 08:43 AM

Re: Bing Fights Back

Only come across it at the library, found it slow and less effective than others.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 08:47 AM

I'm not a fan of Bing. Why reinvent the wheel anyway. Being the cynic I am, I'm sure Microsoft will be manipulating search results in its favour already.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Only come across it at the library, found it slow and less effective than others.
I should think that is more to do with the library than the search engine itself. It certainly shouldn't be slow?

https://www.bing.com/?FORM=Z9FD1
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

20-05-2015, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
I'm not a fan of Bing. Why reinvent the wheel anyway. Being the cynic I am, I'm sure Microsoft will be manipulating search results in its favour already.
Good point but at least Google has a potent rival.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
I should think that is more to do with the library than the search engine itself. It certainly shouldn't be slow?

https://www.bing.com/?FORM=Z9FD1
Changes when i switch to google Mark, cant vouch for the speed of the machines just the performance of the search engines.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

20-05-2015, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Changes when i switch to google Mark, cant vouch for the speed of the machines just the performance of the search engines.
I think I would be concerned if that was happening on my machine. You don't have tool bars installed do you or maybe an intrusive virus checker?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 09:38 AM

I think bing is a bit of a bully, I have uninstalled it many times but it still pops up on my home page, google may be many things but if you don't want to use it you avoid it entirely.
It's awfully slow and doesn't give me the results I am expecting so I usually end up googling anyway
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 09:41 AM

I like Bing maps the 'zoom in' gives a really good clear picture better than Google at times and invaluable for househunting
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

20-05-2015, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I think bing is a bit of a bully, I have uninstalled it many times but it still pops up on my home page, google may be many things but if you don't want to use it you avoid it entirely.
It's awfully slow and doesn't give me the results I am expecting so I usually end up googling anyway
You might have a problem there Julie. There is such a thing as a browser hijacking program ...

Browser hijacking is the modification of a web browser's settings. The term "hijacking" is used as the changes are performed without the user's permission. A browser hijacker may replace the existing home page, error page, or search page with its own.
You should get your computer checked. What such programs do is divert your search to a search that enables 'others' to profit from the results. Signs of such an invasive program existing on your computer are when you can't alter your home page, or can't change your search engine, or you get popups etc.

It is all too easy to have such a program on your computer these days. Never install tool bars for one thing as they invariably have something malicious going on in the background.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top