Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 01:26 PM

Believe in yourself!

I love me old brain-box. It has been a source of pain but also of wonder to me. Numerous breakdowns since a teenager (well a few anyway) and suffered all sorts of psychological problems along the way (and still do no-doubt), but ... take my life now.

Back 10-12 years ago or so I opened a computer repair shop but suffered another breakdown setback as me and stress of the sort found running such an establishment don't mix. I was put on the sick by the docs and more or less left on it indefinitely ... but the nature of my illness proved a problem for me eventually. I was diagnosed as being agoraphobic but in reality I'm pretty sure I'm social phobic as I can quite happily go running without fear.

After 5 years (time sure flies) the Atos era kicked in, you know where you have to report to the various clinics to be reappraised. As you have guessed this was going to be a problem for me and was big time as I just couldn't do it as I could hardly step foot out of the house. Alarm bells started ringing as I could see the writing on the wall - I was going to lose my benefits! Brain-box to the rescue.

I had not been idle since becoming ill and had learned how to create websites along with how servers worked. I combined the 2 and started creating shops to see how they worked together. I started making a few bob but when I showed my creations to other far more knowledgeable website entrepreneurs they ridiculed them in the extreme. Also Google deemed them bad news after the first major algorithm they ran (Panda) and that was the end of that ... but being me I wouldn't give in. I used my own self belief and arrogance (the same you see when I post on the forum) to carry on regardless ignoring both the entrepreneurs and Google.

I figured out how much I would need to make a week to pay all my bills. By the time they stopped my benefits because I wouldn't attend any clinic (even though I was and always will be social phobic it seems - still ill in other words) I was breaking even. In just a few years of ignoring all advice and being as pig headed as I always am I can earn enough in a morning to cover all my weekly costs and last month I earned enough to cover my costs for a complete year. We are talking pretty big money. I now have the option of becoming quite wealthy if I so wish .

So what is the conclusion you can come to from the above? Believe in yourself and sod the establishment. If it goes pear shaped all you have to blame is yourself. Works for me .
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 01:30 PM

Re: Believe in yourself!

Oh well that has used up 15 mins of my bored time - what now?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 01:45 PM

I agree we should all believe in ourselves what you did is amazing but wouldn't suit us all, much prefer a job where I have a boss and can get holidays from etc even if it does make me less money over time because being with my family and my dogs means more to me than being completely independent of the state. But aren't we in a fabulous country where both things are available to us, some places neither of us would do very well.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 01:50 PM

Yep - you did well Mark ..........
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 01:55 PM

So what is the conclusion you can come to from the above? Believe in yourself and sod the establishment. If it goes pear shaped all you have to blame is yourself. Works for me
Sounds good to me ...
I am a firm believer in rely on no one but yourself
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

23-05-2015, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I agree we should all believe in ourselves what you did is amazing but wouldn't suit us all, much prefer a job where I have a boss and can get holidays from etc even if it does make me less money over time because being with my family and my dogs means more to me than being completely independent of the state. But aren't we in a fabulous country where both things are available to us, some places neither of us would do very well.
A good thing about using the internet to make money (as I do) is that it can be carried out anywhere and in any country. I experimented only the other day and left my servers running along with a computer that interacts with them and then remotely controlled the computer from a different location 160 miles away. Worked perfectly and was not so very different as being at home . The weak point in the setup is the broadband as it clearly was this time as the broadband where I was staying broke down and I had to go home prematurely.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 02:09 PM

I have great admiration for people who have the 'get up and go' to start their own successful business. Well done Mark.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 02:57 PM

A big pat on the back from Me too Mark,You've taken Life on and came out on top...carry on like this and You'll be damn near perfect ;~)
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 03:13 PM

Well done mkj. You must feel proud .

I had no self belief , thought I was dim, etc most of my life .( being told as a child , and young mother . Honestly believed this . When I was 52 I had to live alone , I had no one or family to help or support , I truly was and still am on my own .

Then living alone all these years I realised I am capable , clever , I retrained at 57 , worked at two jobs and successfully too . I now know I am worthy .

Not blowing my own trumpet , this is truly how I feel. Just wish I had known when I was younger .
Well done mkj , well done me ,😇
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 04:17 PM

Well done from me too Mark, keep up the good work!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top