Join for free
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 04:54 PM

Burqa ban

Commonly called the Burqa ban, in 2010 France introduced laws forbidding any covering of the face to be worn in a public place.
They included ski masks full face helmets and of course the muslim face covering Niqab.

Now its seems the Netherlands is following suit as it was announced yesterday that they will also be bringing in a so called Burqa ban.

There is no problem with wearing a headscarf ( hijab) or hair covering veil such as a nun wears and the ban will only be enforced in schools, hospitals, public transport and public buildings.. On the street and in homes or places of worship the choice of the individual to cover their face is still their own.
Switserland and Belgium are also said to be considering such bans.

Of course there is an immediate outcry of religious freedom but this ban isnt about religion is it? After all the Quran does not command women cover their faces it says breasts and gentials should be covered and women should be modest. So thats the religious argument out of the way.

Whats left?
Human rights? .. Well for years motorcyclists have had to remove helmets before entering public buildings and even before using petrol pumps. Wearing a ski mask to pop into the local bank is likely to set off all the alarms and have the police descend on you in force and I have to remove my tinted glasses at passport control so they can see my face even though my glasses are a medical necessity..

With all the unrest violence and hatred in the world and media attention on the likes of I.S is it so very strange that it has come to this and how long will it be before other countrys follow suit?
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 04:57 PM

Re: Burqa ban

I think there's something sinister about people who wear burkas.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 05:03 PM

I like to think we can all wear what we want in 2015 but covering our faces in many situations just isn't necessary. So reluctantly I think we should ban face coverings unless they are needed for protection or safety.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 05:08 PM

I agree with the ban - pity they didn't do this much earlier
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 05:28 PM

I agree with Patsy. In this day and age of terrorism it should never be allowed for anyone to be in public with their face covered.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I think there's something sinister about people who wear burkas.
Never mind sinister

John Simpson looked totally ridiculous
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 06:01 PM

Personally I don't care what people do or don't wear it is a matter of personal choice whether they choose to wear a burqa or nothing at all.

My only proviso would be when giving evidence in a court of law then it is important for a face to be seen and a voice to be heard clearly.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 06:03 PM

When in Rome , etc . This is Britain . If we travel abroad there are country's where women must cover legs shoulders , so we respect the law and do so or else we are arrested . Fine , if women want to cover their faces at home or wherever they live , but walking the streets they should have open faces , burkhas should not be worn in the UK . As written earlier , face helmets have to be removed on entering garages shops etc.
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
I agree with Patsy. In this day and age of terrorism it should never be allowed for anyone to be in public with their face covered.
100% agree,
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 06:36 PM

When in Rome , etc . This is Britain . If we travel abroad there are country's where women must cover legs shoulders , so we respect the law and do so or else we are arrested .
I don't look at it that way just because freedoms are denied in other countries is no reason for us to deny freedoms here.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top