Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2015, 03:51 PM

Do you know people over 50 who are not web users?

This article got me thinking (Scam victim average age is 74) - that I'd be fairly sure most of our members are aware of such scams so less likely to fall victim to them, but that's because you are web savvy. I wonder how many of these victims are not web savvy?

Hence wondering if you know many people over 50 who do not use the internet..
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2015, 03:58 PM

Re: Do you know people over 50 who are not web users?

I know many Azz - I always let them know about these things, some here have had the calls including myself - also we put a message on the community board about any scams going on
It still amazes me when you hear about more victims, you would think family members would keep this in mind or neighbours too
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2015, 03:59 PM

I passed on my previous original iPad to my husband just over a year ago because he was adamant he wouldn't use a computer.
He only uses it for the News and Sport and playing snooker on it ..... as far as I know.

I am continually telling him not to click on anything he isn't sure about and to ask me first. He loves the iPad now, so much so that I may have to treat him to a newer model!

He still won't use my Mac though but at least he has broken the ice
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2015, 04:05 PM

Many people over 50 don't have access to the internet, but those who do usually have family who can help them discover scammers, even if the can't themselves!
I thought the news about older people being scammed is more about those who are conned by the letters , received by post, that claim they have won money. These days everyone seems to want something for nothing and these older folk are less aware that, if they get a letter saying " send £100 to allow us to send your winnings of £50,000" it is almost certainly a con, because most want to leave monies for their families.
I am over 50 and have , so far, discovered 27 scammers online, but the more you use your PC the easier they are to spot!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2015, 04:05 PM

I know many 'none net users' too including my sister in law and her husband in their 70s who have never had a computer in the house .
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2015, 04:12 PM

Yes, but only two of my friends aren't, they haven't even got pc's.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2015, 04:13 PM

Yes, I know several, my neighbours are absolutely dead against using a computer so they don't know the good side to the internet but have heard of the scams etc - puts them off, I think.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2015, 04:17 PM

Yes I have a good friend who doesn't possess and won't have a pc or laptop, believing in the old-fashioned method of pen and paper.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2015, 04:22 PM

several who either dont want it or are still afraid of tech.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2015, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
This article got me thinking (Scam victim average age is 74) - that I'd be fairly sure most of our members are aware of such scams so less likely to fall victim to them, but that's because you are web savvy. I wonder how many of these victims are not web savvy?
Hence wondering if you know many people over 50 who do not use the internet..
My Mother-in-law is computer-illiterate yet she got legitimate Charities homing in on her because she didn't realise that her donations were commitments to regular donations every month!

Childline still tries it on despite my sending them an official complaint and referring them to the ombudsman.

Oxfam's another one!

As for internet scams it is very dangerous these days so the best thing to do is delete anything you've not actually asked for or recognise; a favourite address method is to use you Screen Name.

If they were genuine they'd have your details wouldn't they so if it's addressed to stevmk2 it goes in the Spam!

I'm getting about 15 - 20 Spams per day - Thanks Google! stevmk2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top