Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2015, 04:21 PM

Cost of feeding your dog/s. Weekly/monthly.

Hi folks,

Doing some extensive research into owning a dog, and today jotted down some prices of food and other bits, while in Morrisons today.

For all you owners of small pets, like Westies, Yorkies, small terriers...have you ever totted up how much you spend a week or a month on feeding them?

I have some library books (4, in fact) and will dip in and out of them over a period of some days - hopefully - and then will maybe take a look in Wilko, take some more notes on costs, so that if and when I have a home visit I can tell the person that I have indeed done my homework and know all that's involved.

Any information you can give me (even monthly insurance etc. ) would be gratefully received. Thank you.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2015, 06:29 PM

Re: Cost of feeding your dog/s. Weekly/monthly.

Jazzi, that is a bit like asking 'how long is a piece of string?'. Dog food prices vary so much, and some people will spend vastly more than others on the same dog.
My dog is a terrier cross, much bigger than a small terrier but smaller than a collie. When I first had him I fed him on Red Mills dry dog food which cost about £22 for a 15kg bag. That lasted between three and four months. So about £7 per month. Since he was diagnosed with epilepsy I was advised to change him to a hypoallergenic dog food which costs twice as much. And when I got him chipped I got a voucher for a free bag of Royal Canin which is phenomenally expensive!
He also gets occasional treats - less than £1 per month.

So it's sort of up to the owner how much it costs.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2015, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Jazzi, that is a bit like asking 'how long is a piece of string?'. Dog food prices vary so much, and some people will spend vastly more than others on the same dog.
My dog is a terrier cross, much bigger than a small terrier but smaller than a collie. When I first had him I fed him on Red Mills dry dog food which cost about £22 for a 15kg bag. That lasted between three and four months. So about £7 per month. Since he was diagnosed with epilepsy I was advised to change him to a hypoallergenic dog food which costs twice as much. And when I got him chipped I got a voucher for a free bag of Royal Canin which is phenomenally expensive!
He also gets occasional treats - less than £1 per month.

So it's sort of up to the owner how much it costs.
I just wanted some feedback from owners who could give me their own costs.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2015, 06:49 PM

My dogs have always had a higher grade of dry food for breakfast..Please note high grade does not mean huge price or big advertising..
The additives are zero and the meat % is bigger than the grain one..

At their evening meal they get fresh raw mince or as a treat boiled chicken with brown rice and veggies..

The raw food isnt that expensive I order in bulk but for 72 dinners its about £20.

One thing , feeding a decent quality of food often means less tummy troubles less caot problems and a general overal better condition dogs are like people the better the diet the better the health (generally)..

For good deals you could try looking at places online like zooplus.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2015, 06:58 PM

I don't add up how much I spend on food.
Chole my current dog has a tummy problem which means she vomits bile when her stomach is empty so needs to be fed small frequent low calorie meals (or she would soon be overweight).
She also has an intolerance of certain foods, they make her scratch so she is fed on a lot of fresh fish and a no grain fish based food and fresh vegetables.

I would not feed a mass produced grain based food to any of my dogs, it is false economy . I prefer fresh food with a no grain food like Simpsons 80/20 , Eden, Orjen or Millies Wolfheart all available online.

Insurance can be expensive if you are starting with an adult dog which may have existing conditions.
I am with John Lewis at the moment having been ditched by AXA who suddenly ceased to do pet insurance.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

12-10-2015, 06:58 PM

Cass, that's a thought, the chicken etc.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

12-10-2015, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I don't add up how much I spend on food.
Chole my current dog has a tummy problem which means she vomits bile when her stomach is empty so needs to be fed small frequent low calorie meals (or she would soon be overweight).
She also has an intolerance of certain foods, they make her scratch so she is fed on a lot of fresh fish and a no grain fish based food and fresh vegetables.

I would not feed a mass produced grain based food to any of my dogs . I prefer fresh food and a no grain food like Simpsons 80/20 , Eden, Orjen or Millies Wolfheart all available online.

Insurance can be expensive if you are starting with an adult dog which may have existing conditions.
I am with John Lewis at the moment having been ditched by AXA who suddenly ceased to do pet insurance.
Ah yes, intolerances to consider.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2015, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Ah yes, intolerances to consider.
If I had the freezer space with just one dog to feed I would feed a complete raw food like Natural Instinct or Nutriment.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

12-10-2015, 08:37 PM

I couldn't fit a blade of grass in my freezer, so that type of diet is out of the question.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

12-10-2015, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I couldn't fit a blade of grass in my freezer, so that type of diet is out of the question.
Sounds like mine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top