Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2015, 08:59 AM

Purebreeds

Your opinions please

Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2015, 09:05 AM

Re: Purebreeds

I can't have my sound on so can't see but I can guess, nothing wrong with crosses I have had many but if you want a certain breed nothing wrong with looking for a decent breeder either. Decent breeders are the answer not pitting pure breed against crosses.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2015, 09:25 AM

Most of the comments in the video are true. Many pedigree dogs are bred to improve their looks so they can win competitions, like crufts, but this inbreeding causes serious health problems for the dogs as the emphasis on their looks leads to problems in their body structures. I had a friend who bred Salukis and Dalmations but she soon stopped when she learned how dangerous, to the dogs, the inbreeding can be.
Research has shown that a typical mongrel will be healthier,live longer and have a better nature than most pedigree dogs and the higher pedigree the dogs have ( which makes them more expensive) means their health is more likely to be challenged.
To put this another way, if you had a beautiful daughter and your brother had a beautiful son would encourage them to get together and produce beautiful children ( providing it was legal to do so) ? This is what is happening with dogs and, just as it would be in humans, the genes will eventually produce puppies with structural faults because the genes are too similar.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2015, 09:34 AM

One of the chaps at the allotment suggested getting a cross breed. Hmmmm...
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2015, 11:13 AM

Every dog can have problems.

The inbreeding of some purebred dogs is obvious but its just as easy for a cross to inhierit the bad bits of both parents!

Having said that I have had both mongies and pedigrees and without a doubt the pedigrees have been the most often visitors to the vet.
It does depend on the breed you get and a quick look at breed specs will show what they are prone to.

In the end a lot comes down to ethical breeders ..Thats not top breeder as someone already mentioned thats just about looks and prizes ethical breeders look at problem free bloodlines and dont mate closely related dogs.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2015, 11:14 AM

I've got a cross breed, Shi tzu/ yorkie and so has my daughter, chihuahua / Bichon, lovely dogs. Sometimes though they can have the worst traits of both breeds so you have to pick carefully.
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2015, 12:57 PM

I have had both a pedigree Springer Spaniel and a mongrel, we were lucky both dogs had beautiful natures but I spent £,ssssssssss on my spaniel towards the end of her life, not that I minded.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2015, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
Every dog can have problems.

The inbreeding of some purebred dogs is obvious but its just as easy for a cross to inhierit the bad bits of both parents!

Having said that I have had both mongies and pedigrees and without a doubt the pedigrees have been the most often visitors to the vet.
It does depend on the breed you get and a quick look at breed specs will show what they are prone to.

In the end a lot comes down to ethical breeders ..Thats not top breeder as someone already mentioned thats just about looks and prizes ethical breeders look at problem free bloodlines and dont mate closely related dogs.

I agree with Cass, and definitely the bit about top breeders.
Until the KC club got it's act together a bit better recently, most of the so-called 'top breeders' only got where they were in the show ring by inbreeding, or using someone else's stud male who had been equally inbred.
For generations they bred for 'looks' and 'show potential', and bugger the health side. Now, thank goodness, inbreeding is BANNED and any resulting offspring cannot be registered.
Dogs were seen winning accolades, who were carrying bad genes and inherited health problems, but just because it came out of the ring with a red rosette or silver cup, anyone wanting to mate their bitch to something that would look good on the paperwork, paid to use the winning dog. If their bitch was also inbred and had potential problems, you can perhaps begin to imagine the future of the poor puppies born to this mating. Because a so-called 'top dog' was used, the breeder will then charge even more money for resulting offspring, and make a point of pointing out to unsuspecting buyers how many pedigrees are in the paperwork.

I won't turn this into an even longer post, but anyone buying a puppy, regardless of breed, MUST do their homework long before they actually go and see the litter.
The KC has much more information on its website nowadays about the parents backgrounds, whether they've been health tested, and the results. The only thing it can't tell you is temperament!
Beware, 'top breeders' have usually been at it for many years, and know all the wrinkles. Some are good, but having a posh kennel name is certainly no guarantee.

Just quickly, regarding cross breeds. These are NOT the same as the old 'mongrels.' First crosses are just what the name implies - a cross between two different pedigree breeds. An out and out mongrel is many different crosses, mostly of unidentifiable origin. A first cross can be as unhealthy as a pedigree, if BOTH pedigree parents carry inherited problems from their backgrounds.
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2015, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
[/B]

Just quickly, regarding cross breeds. These are NOT the same as the old 'mongrels.' First crosses are just what the name implies - a cross between two different pedigree breeds. An out and out mongrel is many different crosses, mostly of unidentifiable origin. A first cross can be as unhealthy as a pedigree, if BOTH pedigree parents carry inherited problems from their backgrounds.
Hence the term Heinz 57
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2015, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
[/B]

These new cross breed dogs such as cockapoos, chorkies, Maltipoos etc seem to be having many health problems that breeders must be aware of!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...questions.html

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top