Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2015, 09:35 AM

Over 50

I'm getting impatient of the pure ageism that's apparent on here, not from everyone thank goodness, but from a good few, and I do find it off putting and depressing.

I mean, over fifty is either half way there OR near the end.
The way some folk post you may as well have one foot in the grave!

I read just now a post from someone who was sixty and therefore had decided not to have another pet!! For heaven's sakes! Sixty is NO age these days, and having a pet is meant to keep you young!!

I'm well into my sixties and if my moggies keel over tomorrow I'd go straight out and get another, no hesitation, I hate the idea of not having a moggy in my home.

But aside from that I've got a kitchen renovation/extension in my mind for next year, a new bathroom in the process, just had several new windows put in and a lovely new gas fire put in only yesterday when we were all getting over a dreadful sickness bug and feeling washed out.

Think positive, people, for heaven's sakes, your cup's half full not completely empty!!!!

Edited....forgot to say, rant over, thanks for listening, have a lovely day and the sun is shining!!!
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2015, 09:49 AM

Re: Over 50

Oh god I hope I am not my age.

Me and hubby went on one of our many trips away this year, we rushed to the hotel dumped our bags and ran down to the sea front, the first thing we bought was an ice cream a big one each, unfortunately it was a very hot day and the ice cream was melting quicker than we could eat it. It was dropping down our t shirts and onto our feet, we were howling with laughing because we thought it was so funny.

When we looked up there were people sat opposite us on benches about my age sat quietly watching us. This made us laugh even more. The first thing I said to hubby was, i wonder if i will ever act my age.

I know this is not the normal thing, but usual things happen to us when we are away that starts us off laughing.

I realise some people do just sit quietly and that is their way, but not for me.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2015, 09:53 AM

Here you are ruthio, what to do when you reach 86.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZjljqReu1I
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2015, 09:53 AM

Well living here has proved age is just a number
We have people in their 70s and late 80s and all take pride in their appearance. The women don the make up and nice clothes and the men dress well also. It was great to see this
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2015, 09:56 AM

A salutary reminder, ruthio.

Sometimes I do dwell on the negatives. There are unfortunately plenty of them. I attended another funeral last week for one of my contemporaries. Other attendees looked distinctly decrepit to me.

Nevertheless here I am still alive nearer to 85 than to 84. There are lots of things that I still can do. Let’s just get on with our lives and enjoy what we still have.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2015, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Magoo ->
A salutary reminder, ruthio.

Sometimes I do dwell on the negatives. There are unfortunately plenty of them. I attended another funeral last week for one of my contemporaries. Other attendees looked distinctly decrepit to me.

Nevertheless here I am still alive nearer to 85 than to 84. There are lots of things that I still can do. Let’s just get on with our lives and enjoy what we still have.

Yes I would count yourself lucky Mr. Magoo - keep going
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2015, 10:09 AM

Lovely positive replies!
Keep them coming!
That's a beautiful video clumsy what an incredible inspiration!
Now I must go and do my stretches
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2015, 10:10 AM

Oh heavens, I don't dwell on age at all, I tend to do what I want when I want if I can, obviously! I never really consider my age.
Wondering whether to sell our bungalow, can't get used to life on one level, and buy a house again instead. Always revamping room, décor, etc.. I could just say it's not worth it. No, I couldn't, that's not me!
I have no pets now but my sister, a lifelong dog lover, has decided not to get a pet in case anything happens to them, she's 64!

I'm just not a negative person, life is for living - so let's live it!!
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK

13-10-2015, 10:16 AM

Good on her cranberry and give your sis a right good ticking off, 64 IS NO AGE!!!!
You lot haven't half cheered me up

P.S. I have an elderly neighbour who is 96 and still rides her bike to the supermarket up the road!!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2015, 10:50 AM

At 70, I feel fine and certainly have lots of life and energy in me. If I do get a bit maudlin about age and come out with terms such as "At 70, I feel I've made it" it's because there have been a couple of times in life when I wasn't expected to get anywhere near 50, 60 and 70.

All of those ages have indeed been 'a good age' to me. I feel very healthy but know the threat is back. I like to bury my head in the sand (mostly) and tend to take a pragmatic view about the age I've reached. If I am in danger, it won't matter because I've reached the old age of 70 and many don't. This feeling might sometimes come out in posts I suppose.

I still ride my bike too.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top