Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2015, 02:23 PM

Sugars and Fibre

The more I walk around the supermarkets these days the more I am appalled at how much sugar is being allowed to go into what ought to be simple products.

I have learned over the course of my "sugar education" that sugar is sugar. It is a myth that sugars found naturally in things like apples are any different to sugar you buy in packets. So there is no such thing as "natural sugars" as such. Sugar is sugar.

What matters is what you eat WITH the sugar you intake. If you just take in sugar as is, then it will be rapidly broken down into glucose and other stuff and stored as fat. If on the other hand you ingest sugars with a decent amount of fibre, then the digestion process is much slower and your body gets to use the sugars for energy needs rather than storing it as fat. Hence, eating an apple (sugars plus fibre) is a good thing. Drinking apple juice (just sugars) is a bad thing.

With this in mind, here are just 3 items from Sainsbury's Basics range for which I have shown pictorially just how many teaspoonfuls of sugar are in those products. Here 1 teaspoonful is 4g of sugar. I have also noted the fibre content so you can judge whether the product is good or bad. I recommend you picture yourself spooning those teaspoons of sugar into the product !

There are likely 1000s more such products out there in all supermarkets. Small wonder we have all been addicted to sugar!
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2015, 04:14 PM

Re: Sugars and Fibre

It's dreadful , why is so much sugar being added . It seems we can't get away from this overload .
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2015, 04:27 PM

This is not always ADDED sugar !
This is how much sugar the food contains.
Tomatoes for instance contain natural sugars as do most foods.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2015, 04:46 PM

For reasons I don't need to go into I check sugar contents and what really takes the biscuit is the substitutes for sugar can be a carcigenic.

Honey and maple syrup may be considered to be less of a hazard but they still contain fructose sugar and calories.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2015, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
For reasons I don't need to go into I check sugar contents
So we will have to guess then shall we.....I have a good idea what it might be
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2015, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
This is not always ADDED sugar !
This is how much sugar the food contains.
Tomatoes for instance contain natural sugars as do most foods.
Yes. I made no claim that the sugars were ADDED but the notion of "Natural sugars" being somehow better than other sugars is a myth.

The issue at stake here is what other substances the sugars (natural or otherwise) are presented/packaged with.

Apple juice we might otherwise think of as nice and healthy after all it's apples isn't it?!! But when you simply take the juice and almost none of the fibre of the apple then what you produce is a hugely sugar laden drink that will be converted and digested quickly, far from the natural way apples are supposed to be eaten.
countrygirl
West Midlands
countrygirl is female  countrygirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2015, 07:24 PM

I avoid sugar substitutes as much as I can but it's not easy.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2015, 08:39 PM

I have avoided sugar for a while but been getting withdrawal symptoms or something. Anyway I just did my Tesco order and ordered a 'few' bars of white and ordinary chocolate - hey only 30p for a 100g bar! Didn't order any alcohol , though I did order non-alcohol beer to try .
Tuppy
South East England
Tuppy is female  Tuppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2015, 10:18 PM

I've been a diet controlled diabetic for almost 18 years and have avoided medication by educating myself on sugar and carbs.

I eat fresh fruit as fruit, not juice. I choose good carbs as in whole wheat carbs, not white carbs.

Sugar is everywhere, even in milk products, I read labels.

Carbs are also sugar, read the labels ... then read the sugar content of the carbs, you will be surprised.

Root veg have carbs which are loaded with sugar, but we are told veggies are good for us.

It's about balance and education.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2015, 10:19 PM

The amount of sugar compared to the fibre in the Yoghurt and Apple juice is awesome Realist, I had no idea that fruit juice was so unhealthy when drunk without the fibre.

To think that people buy low fat products in an attempt to lose weight, but they are being completely misled, excesses of sugar is the main reason for being overweight.

I believe that there are additives in Coca Cola that stop the body from being sick from ingesting so much sugar at one sitting.

Yes it's true Tuppy that Potatoes, Pasta and Bread contain large amounts of carbohydrates and can seriously add to a weight problem. I used to load up on these prior to running marathons. I don't run marathons any more but still eat lots of these so I will have to be careful.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top