Join for free
Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 11 > Last »
ScottishCatLady
Moray, Scotland.
ScottishCatLady is female  ScottishCatLady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2016, 01:49 AM

Is there an after life?

I am a Christian and have spent my life believing that there is "something else" when we die, and Lord knows I hope that there is, but what if there isn't? What if, when we die, we are just "gone" and there isn't anything else? We just fall asleep and never wake up, without dreaming or anything.

It's hard to imagine a death like that, because it is just a case of imagining nothing. Although it wouldn't matter when it happened, thinking of it in advance is quite a scary thought.

What are your guy's thoughts on the subject? Do we carry on as ghosts, go to Heaven (or Hell... ) or simply die and become "no-more"?
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2016, 02:00 AM

Re: Is there an after life?

Well... being an agnostic, I don't believe there's anything else out there. I believe that when you're dead, you're dead, there is nothing else. That's kind of a scary thought. But if you simply cease to exist, you won't be conscious of anything anyway. There will just be nothing. No memory, no awareness, just black. Yet, at the same time, I agree with you that just blinking out - like someone blowing out a candle - is a disturbing thought.

But then when I think about the possibility of an afterlife, that's scary too. I'm not sure I'd want to continue to go on and on and on in some other plane of existence. Eternal life? Another frightening thought.

I'm not sure what's scarier.... facing what's on the other side or becoming nothing at all.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2016, 02:00 AM

I believe those we have lost are still around us, when my younger sister passed away she visited me one night, she lay at the side of me on my bed and I felt wonderful, she also visited my mum, the three of us were very close.

I'll never forget it, the way it made me feel, the smile on her face, I could almost touch her but I didn't move, couldn't
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2016, 05:52 AM

I am an atheist and believe that death is the end of us. We live on in our loved ones' memories but when they die we are no more.
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2016, 07:25 AM

No.

Only the memories of those left behind, and they'll soon fade anyway.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2016, 07:37 AM

I'm not a believer so I dont believe in an afterlife but I dont find death a scary thought. Its natural and I dont think dying is the problem its the manner in which we die that scares us more.

I do think our immortality is in the effect, impact and memories we create for others. Its up to us if that is positive or negative.
So heaven or hell are of our own making in a way.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2016, 07:46 AM

We may be downloaded, then rebooted who knows?
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2016, 08:12 AM

I think that we live an allotted number of years and then we die and disappear back into the soil. We're made of meat, after all, and we rot and that's it. We're the only life forms (as far as we know) capable of thought and complex reasoning, and that's our curse - we just can't come to terms with our own death and hence we feel sure - some of us - that death isn't the end. It brings some people great comfort to think of heaven, and there's no harm in that. After all, to die is very frightening and something we have to go through alone, whoever's there at the bedside with us.

BUT .... maybe I'm wrong. Perhaps it will be like the end of Ghost, with loving spirits waiting to hand us up to God where we'll meet our long-dead relatives. That's the thing isn't it? Nobody knows. We can believe, and belief in an afterlife must make dying so much more comforting and less terrifying. At times of great stress or worry, how many of us resort to prayer? Who or what are we appealing to if we're non believers?
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2016, 09:22 AM

I don't believe it's allotted.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2016, 09:46 AM

Yes I'm a believer since a child
Its something very strong within me
If I didn't believe, passing on would be a blessing anyway when you are tired of life
But, I'm convinced of an afterlife where the soul will unite with those you have bonded
Just my belief

Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top