Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2016, 02:15 PM

A question about ISPs

I'm just curious, but if you change your internet supplier do you get a different ISP or does it stay the same?
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2016, 02:18 PM

Re: A question about ISPs

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
I'm just curious, but if you change your internet supplier do you get a different ISP or does it stay the same?
They are one and the same surely?

ISP = Internet Service Provider

Do you mean IP Address?

With most internet service providers your IP Address is dynamic and will change each time you reboot your computer. You normally have to ask for a static IP Address.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2016, 02:19 PM

Do you mean a different IP address, clumsy?
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2016, 02:22 PM

Think Clumsy means IP Address, but I don't know the answer though!
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2016, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Do you mean a different IP address, clumsy?
Thanks orangutan, I think that's what I mean, I'm just not very techie.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

01-05-2016, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
They are one and the same surely?

ISP = Internet Service Provider

Do you mean IP Address?

With most internet service providers your IP Address is dynamic and will change each time you reboot your computer. You normally have to ask for a static IP Address.
Thanks. I guess I mean IP address.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

01-05-2016, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Think Clumsy means IP Address, but I don't know the answer though!
Thanks for replying anyway.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2016, 04:50 PM

This raises an interesting (and perhaps topical!) question.

If most people have a dynamic IP address (even if remaining with the same ISP), doesn't this facilitate banned forum members re-joining and masquerading as someone else from a different location?

As you can tell, I'm no expert and hopefully Azz and the mods have ways and means of identifying such infiltrations.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

01-05-2016, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

If most people have a dynamic IP address (even if remaining with the same ISP), doesn't this facilitate banned forum members re-joining and masquerading as someone else from a different location?

As you can tell, I'm no expert and hopefully Azz and the mods have ways and means of identifying such infiltrations.
That is what made me wonder about it JBR. I saw that Twink said that Aafak person had his/her account deleted and it just made me wonder if these IP addresses changed if you changed internet suppliers.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2016, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

Plenty of instances where someone has rejoined a forum under a different guise - on here and elsewhere .

You simply have to type 'IP Address' in Google for your IP Address to appear. Rebooting your router should cause a different IP Address to be allocated to your computer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top