Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2016, 09:47 PM

Dla/pip

Has anyone had experience of the assessment procedure for the changeover from DLA to PIP for disabled people.
I am 67 & have and Parkinson's for 22 years & have received DLA for the last 10.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2016, 09:51 PM

Re: Dla/pip

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/be...f-you-get-dla/
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2016, 06:41 AM

Robert I have been advised to take the forms to the Citizens Advice so they can help fill them out, there is a certain way that they have to be done which they have experience of. Many people who fill put their own forms are getting turned down so best to get advice and help.
They also recommended ( the fybromyalgia group I belong to also said this) taking someone with you if you have an interview with a recording device if possible in case you need to appeal.
Good luck, it's a very stressful time for you, hope you succeed.
rhosyn
South Wales
rhosyn is female  rhosyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2016, 07:54 AM

My granddaughter works in CAB. She has been spending a lot of time helping people with these forms.Think it's better to get help with these forms.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2016, 10:40 AM

My only advice is to exaggerate your symptoms. My stepson, who suffers from paranoid schizophrenia and had been receiving DLA for some years was recently reassessed for PIP and had his benefits removed. The fact that he could dress himself, feed himself and clean himself meant that he did not accumulate enough points to qualify. The fact that he talks to "himself" (actually several other personalities resident in his head) constantly, making normal interaction very difficult, and sees (and interacts with) people who are not there, means that a normal social life, work and relationships are pretty much impossible for him. No employer would touch him with a bargepole and he wouldn't last a day in a full-time job. Some days he cannot get out of bed at all because he is so depressed. Other days he doesn't sleep at all and causes disruption in the house as he plays music or talks loudly to his "voices" in the early hours of the morning - shrieking with manic laughter or violently arguing with his other personalities. In the past he had a different medication, but that just turned him into an unresponsive zombie. At least the meds he is on now allows him to be a human being, but, unfortunately a very damaged one. The fact that he is highly intelligent, articulate and well-spoken also seems to go against him in such assessments.
The letter the DWP sent him cancelling his DLA/PIP laid out the points system for a PIP award and my wife and I felt strongly that even she would struggle to qualify - despite her chronic osteo-arthritis, life-threatening allergies, heart problems and spinal problems. Luckily for her, she has an indefinite award of DLA, but that could change if they want to switch her to PIP.
So, when answering the questions, think of the issues you have on your worst possible day and write that down as your best possible day. The DWP is not interested in supporting disabled people, just minimising the amount spent on benefits. Screw them!
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2016, 11:41 AM

thank you all FOR YOUR SUPPORT.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2016, 01:26 PM

Robert, I think that if you have been awarded DLA 'indefinitely' that you will not have to apply for 'PIP'
Look at the letter that they sent you when you were first awarded the benefit to check that it was 'indefinitely'
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2016, 02:22 PM

No, Malcolm, even if you have a "lifetime" award of DLA you still have to apply for PIP and be assessed. Everyone has to be no matter what conditions and illnesses they have.
It's important to fill in the answers for your worst days they told me, also they sometimes have cameras to see how you are walking etc. on arrival at the building.
Indigo
UK
Indigo is female  Indigo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2016, 02:56 PM

I think it is unlikely that you'll be asked to apply for PIP because of your age. The official line is:
"If you’re on DLA and were 65 or older on 8 April 2013, these changes won’t affect you (you’ll stay on DLA and you don’t need to worry about PIP)."

However at 67 you may not scrape into this group if you were only 64 in 2013, but my guess is that they won't bother with trying to change you. As you may know - if you are on DLA before age 65 you stay on it and don't change to Attendance Allowance which is the equivalent of DLA for people who apply when they are over 65.
In any case, don't do anything until/unless you are asked to.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2016, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
No, Malcolm, even if you have a "lifetime" award of DLA you still have to apply for PIP and be assessed. Everyone has to be no matter what conditions and illnesses they have.
It's important to fill in the answers for your worst days they told me, also they sometimes have cameras to see how you are walking etc. on arrival at the building.
OK Tessa. ...I think that age has something to do with it too

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top