Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2016, 12:38 PM

Happy Shopper.

Now I was never a happy shopper in my earlier years I always tended to say to the missus get me a pair of jeans or a certain shirt and other bits and bobs. At Christmas, mothers day or birthdays I would say to my daughter here's the money go and get your mum some presents for whatever event was coming up. My daughter would love it because she always kept the change.lol

I would leave the kids present buying to the wife just open my wallet and say take whatever you need. But over the past 5yrs I have started to buy things online mainly because I have time on my hands these days where as before there was always something to be done. I am surprised how easy and how quick things can be ordered and delivered. But best of all on good days I can now venture out into the town and go into Poundland.

I love the shop so much, and everything in there and so cheap.

At first I was reserved when I saw one of these shops open in the shopping centre, I would say to the missus on one of my rare shopping days," its all cheap stuff made in China or some far off place and will fall to pieces as soon as you get it home" and I was proved right on many occasions. But this new Poundland in Pitsea is great so easy for parking which is a great advantage to me having problems walking distances and they also sell so many products I load myself up with loads of various Cadburys chocolates, I buy so much stuff from there I can buy tools and colouring books for the children I even bought two pairs of reading glass's from there last week one for the car and one for my workshop. I have a tendency to mislay my proper pairs and sometimes when measuring or just small stuff I can grab these and they are as clear as the expensive ones. You know I even buy my sliced meats from there now they even sell small dish's of black pudding sausages and burgers that does me for 2 breakfasts.

I am like a kid in a toy shop when I go in there.

I make it a point to go in at least once a week.

I buy all my garden ornaments and even pre-packed soil from there. I tell all my neighbours, lol. My bargain of the year so far is packs of potting soil. They are dried all the moisture sucked out and the blocks stack nicely on my shelf. When I need one I open the pack and just had 3 litres of water and there you have a bag of 10ltrs of soil to put your plants in, £1 in Poundland, 3.95 + delivery online. The ornaments I feel like emptying the shelves and opening a stall in the local market and selling them for 3 times the price they are so good I would probably make a nice profit. Perhaps open a FB page and sell them there.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2016, 12:42 PM

Re: Happy Shopper.

I often shop in the pound shops, spending lots of money.
My favourites are:

four bottles of the no added sugar Irn Bru.
A pack of three cans of baked beans.
Disposable gloves
Two cans of air spray
Gardening stuff for the allotment

You know, even affluent well off people shop in those places.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2016, 12:57 PM

I do use pound shops but you have to watch the prices I see people loading up with bleach 3 for a pound and know in tesco they are 29p each ! Same with some sweets and canned goods.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2016, 01:42 PM

I buy the compost there for my pots, it's in a small square packet but when watered it makes quite a bit. Easier to carry home, too.

Other than that, I'm with Julie, some things are cheaper elsewhere - so don't get sucked in!!
longfellow
Chatterbox
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2016, 01:54 PM

Yep I know where you are coming from on the prices I always try and be wary of dodgy ones. My only problem with supermarkets and I have the 3 big ones within 5 mins drive from me is that I find it hard walking around all those isles especially the chilled and frozen isles it starts my breathing to go haywire. Plus finding a spot close to the doors is always a problem all the disabled bays are mostly full. That's why I like Poundland and also we have a Farm Foods right next door and the vets and pet store on the other side of the Poundland so all my shopping can be done so easily.
longfellow
Chatterbox

24-05-2016, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
I buy the compost there for my pots, it's in a small square packet but when watered it makes quite a bit. Easier to carry home, too.

Other than that, I'm with Julie, some things are cheaper elsewhere - so don't get sucked in!!
Yep got another 4 of them blocks this morning I now have 15 stacked neatly on my shelf in the workshop, one nearly fills a small planter two for a big planter I think they are a bargain and no heavy lifting involved.
I also love the candle lanterns I have them hanging off my arch way they will look great in the late summer evenings and hopefully the scented candles will keep the midgies away. Also managed to get a glazed set of frogs. The small solar lights I have glued to the corners of my planters so at night they look good.
If something doesn't work its no bother I just take it back and replace it.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2016, 02:11 PM

...And here endeth the free commercial for Poundland.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2016, 02:44 PM

Hi

Times are hard up North, we don't live in the affluent South East .

No flashy Poundlands for us I'll have you know.

No, it's the 99p Shop for us and even that is expensive, best only go when they have a sale on.

That ALDI place is posh as well, car park stuffed full of flash cars, best left to those who can afford it.

Nay, market is place for us.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2016, 03:16 PM

Best go when the sales are on, half price items.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2016, 03:36 PM

i stock up with toiletries , from there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top