Join for free
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2016, 08:33 PM

Articulation ... annat

Having spent a great deal of my life being so horribly shy that I would, on occasions, not speak and then if I did would spend hours, days, weeks wondering if I'd made a complete prat of myself, I find that I am gradually becoming more and more verbose.

The internet has definitely helped, in that once I managed to join in a few games on a genealogical forum, I realised people were not necessarily laughing at me and some of them actually liked me !

This has gradually spilled over into real life.
Looking back to the period when my husband became terminally ill, was another turning point.

It was so SO difficult to face and deal with getting to and from the hospital for a start (catching buses) and then the encounters with hospital staff.

When he died, I found that I was begining to gain confidence and a lot of this was due to 'grown up' people actually listening to what I had to say and not just giving me a funny look.

This year, a few people (on the internet and in real life) have volunteered that they think I am articulate !
I have been both incredulous and grateful for their 'out of the blue' comments.

Just felt like saying that
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2016, 08:44 PM

Re: Articulation ... annat

It is good you are gaining confidence Rachel
I would not have considered you to be shy .
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2016, 08:46 PM

Don't be shy, lambast the stupid people that spout rubbish.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2016, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Yes I agree Meg I would never have thought you shy Rachel....the opposite in fact.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2016, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Don't be shy, lambast the stupid people that spout rubbish.
I would sometimes love to do that but it would backfire on me.
I am non-confrontational and dislike arguements, so I steer clear and watch them make idiots of themselves.

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
Yes I agree Meg I would never have thought you shy Rachel....the opposite in fact.
Learning how to utter on the internet has been a Godsend.

I have always enjoyed the English language and over the years have been learning to express myself in some kind of concise manner.

What annoys me greatly is that I am usually unable to flow pleasantly and in times of stress, my thoughts on here will come out as short statements.

Learning all the time (I hope) ... osmosis ?
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2016, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
Having spent a great deal of my life being so horribly shy that I would, on occasions, not speak and then if I did would spend hours, days, weeks wondering if I'd made a complete prat of myself, I find that I am gradually becoming more and more verbose.

The internet has definitely helped, in that once I managed to join in a few games on a genealogical forum, I realised people were not necessarily laughing at me and some of them actually liked me !

This has gradually spilled over into real life.
Looking back to the period when my husband became terminally ill, was another turning point.

It was so SO difficult to face and deal with getting to and from the hospital for a start (catching buses) and then the encounters with hospital staff.

When he died, I found that I was begining to gain confidence and a lot of this was due to 'grown up' people actually listening to what I had to say and not just giving me a funny look.

This year, a few people (on the internet and in real life) have volunteered that they think I am articulate !
I have been both incredulous and grateful for their 'out of the blue' comments.

Just felt like saying that
An excellent well thought out post. Well done young lady.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2016, 09:33 PM

Good for you Rachel. I for one am proud and happy for you.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2016, 09:38 PM

I've always enjoyed your posts on here (or on social media) and they do make me laugh! So keep at it. I think I've gained more confidence these last few years, by virtue of my voluntary work (allotment and computer lessons).

Can you not try adult education classes? Volunteering in shops, or some charity? It would help you enormously.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK

29-08-2016, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I've always enjoyed your posts on here (or on social media) and they do make me laugh! So keep at it. I think I've gained more confidence these last few years, by virtue of my voluntary work (allotment and computer lessons).

Can you not try adult education classes? Volunteering in shops, or some charity? It would help you enormously.
ARRRRRRGH !!! J

Charity shops ? one of my nightmares
Think it would be the end of me.

AND HOW DARE YOU LAUGH when I'm being serious !

Good for you finding confidence in your chosen
activities
You always seem very positive and an inspiration.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK

29-08-2016, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
An excellent well thought out post. Well done young lady.
Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
Good for you Rachel. I for one am proud and happy for you.
Fank yoo very much

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top