Join for free
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2016, 10:46 PM

'I’ll Just Learn In The Rolls-Royce’: What Billionaire Teen Told Cops Who Took His Ma

This story has puzzled me a little. The boy had his car impounded because he had no insurance, but no mention of the fact he was a learner driver and driving on his own. Has the law changed regarding learner drivers?

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/billionair...142959308.html
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2016, 11:39 PM

Re: 'I’ll Just Learn In The Rolls-Royce’: What Billionaire Teen Told Cops Who Took His Ma

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
This story has puzzled me a little. The boy had his car impounded because he had no insurance, but no mention of the fact he was a learner driver and driving on his own. Has the law changed regarding learner drivers?

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/billionair...142959308.html
No Loretta the law hasn't changed you can't drive on your own with a provisional licence. However I don't think he was alone see this bit...
‘I have security with me wherever I go and I’m very happy that I’ve got my car back, but I was not without a car — I drove my Rolls-Royce with my security.
He was stopped I think because he was very young and driving an expensive car with L plates and was then found to be uninsured.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2016, 12:03 AM

Re: 'I’ll Just Learn In The Rolls-Royce’: What Billionaire Teen Told Cops Who Took His Ma

Originally Posted by Meg ->
No Loretta the law hasn't changed you can't drive on your own with a provisional licence. However I don't think he was alone see this bit...

He was stopped I think because he was very young and driving an expensive car with L plates and was then found to be uninsured.
Ah, thanks Meg. I did read the bit about him always having security with him, but for some reason I presumed they would be following him. You´d think with all that money and all that security someone would have ensured he was insured wouldn´t you?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2016, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
Ah, thanks Meg. I did read the bit about him always having security with him, but for some reason I presumed they would be following him. You´d think with all that money and all that security someone would have ensured he was insured wouldn´t you?
The lad sounds to cocky to bother with insurance I hope he gets lots of penalty points ....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2016, 01:39 AM

I have always thought it daft in the UK that it is possible to have a car registered without Compulsory Third Party insurance. If your car doesn't have CTP here you can't register it. Once a car is registered anybody with a licence can drive it (comprehensive insurance is an optional extra)

If you drive an unregistered vehicle on a public road you get two offences, "Driving uninsured vehicle" and "Driving unregistered vehicle".

We don't have any of that silly 'report to a police station within x days' either, if a car is registered then it is insured and you are required to carry your licence when driving, not doing so is a driving offence.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

30-08-2016, 08:46 AM

I think some of you must have missed the Moderators note here...
http://www.over50sforum.com/showthre...320#post981320
**Ok enough, we aim to have minimal moderation here giving members the opportunity to have their say like adults.

However, some people seem think that means they can indulge in continually exchanging tit for tat insults .

If you can't converse without this behaviour your posts will be moved to the trash can.

Now, we would appreciate it if you could return to the topic.
Thank you
Meg.
Please do not follow members from thread to thread to instigate tit for tat insults.
Thank you

Posts moved to the trash can.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2016, 08:47 AM

Hi

UK Law regarding vehicle Insurance is very different to that in other Countries.

It is a right Ripoff.

In other Countries, Insurance is for the vehicle, not the driver.

A far more sensible solution.

Yet another example of Rip Off Britain.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2016, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I have always thought it daft in the UK that it is possible to have a car registered without Compulsory Third Party insurance. If your car doesn't have CTP here you can't register it. Once a car is registered anybody with a licence can drive it (comprehensive insurance is an optional extra)

If you drive an unregistered vehicle on a public road you get two offences, "Driving uninsured vehicle" and "Driving unregistered vehicle".

We don't have any of that silly 'report to a police station within x days' either, if a car is registered then it is insured and you are required to carry your licence when driving, not doing so is a driving offence.
I quite like that little oddity it's allowed my boys to get their first vehicle, learn off road and not have to pay thousands in insurance until they were ready for the road. The problem is cost of insurance here not sure what your youngsters pay Bruce but Jordan's first insurance bill was nearly £2000 the car was only worth £800
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2016, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I quite like that little oddity it's allowed my boys to get their first vehicle, learn off road and not have to pay thousands in insurance until they were ready for the road. The problem is cost of insurance here not sure what your youngsters pay Bruce but Jordan's first insurance bill was nearly £2000 the car was only worth £800
The CTP insures the vehicle not the driver it insures against any injuries caused to any third party but does not cover property damage and is all that is legally requires to drive on the road. because I am a pensioner my rego is free but I have to pay for the CTP insurance.

If you want to insure against property damage you have two choices.

First is "bomb" insurance which covers any damage to the other vehicle. That is what any kid driving a $800 car would get. it is fairly cheap I can't quote figures because I haven't had bomb insurance for 40 years

Then there is Comprehensive which covers both the vehicle and anything it hits or is hit by.

My 27 year old son pays about $2000 for comprehensive insurance for his $36000 ute because it is considered a sports car. Whereas I pay $500 for my car worth about the same. My excess is $300 whereas his is probably $1000 (don't know exactly)

Our insurance covers the vehicle if you drove my car you would be covered exactly the same as if I was driving it (as long as you have a valid licence).
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2016, 12:24 PM

My maths is chronic but that sounds like your insurance is a lot easier to afford than ours. Even third party fire and theft is more than the price of Jordan's car.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top