Join for free
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2016, 08:39 AM

Yet another welcome policy from Corbyn's Labour Party

The Labour Party have comitted themselves to abolishing the detested Disability medical exams to determine whether those who are disabled can actually be forced into work programmes.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7331571.html
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2016, 08:50 AM

Re: Yet another welcome policy from Corbyn's Labour Party

Introduced under Labour Joe,and again nowt they can do until they get power. Political soundbites wont fool the electorate any more.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2016, 09:05 AM

If they paid the money they used to get people off benefit to people who needed it I am willing to bet food banks would be a thing of the past. I don't think anyone would have a problem being accessed if they knew it would be an honest accessment.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2016, 09:38 AM

I am all for medical examinations for those on disability benefits as long as the testing/examinations are fair.

There are far too many that could work but don't, it isn't unique to the "fit and healthy" younger claimants.

The £millions paid out to false or exaggerated claims is ridiculous.

A painful back, knee or hip etc is not a reason to not work.
It may rule out being a box carrier but there are jobs you could do.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2016, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
I am all for medical examinations for those on disability benefits as long as the testing/examinations are fair.

There are far too many that could work but don't, it isn't unique to the "fit and healthy" younger claimants.

The £millions paid out to false or exaggerated claims is ridiculous.

A painful back, knee or hip etc is not a reason to not work.
It may rule out being a box carrier but there are jobs you could do.
Seems you have bought into the Tory propaganda of demonising those on benefits.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a6801636.html

Last i heard about 40% made successful appeals against wrongful loss of benefits. Does the private companies have to recompense the taxpayer for there mistake.

Its a joke as i can personally attest, and its a pittance compared to the tax that corporations are getting away with

The Government is spending more money assessing whether people are fit to work than it is saving in reductions to the benefits bill, a damning official report has revealed

The study by the National Audit Office (NAO) found that the Department for Work and Pensions is handing over £1.6bn over the next three years to private contractors who carry out the controversial health and disability assessments.

But at the same time, the Government’s own financial watchdog has warned that savings in benefits payments are likely to be less than a billion pounds by 2020 as a result of the new tests.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2016, 09:53 AM

Of course there are false or exaggerated claims.
Some on disability think they should be exempt from work even though they could work.

Disability benefits are open to abuse, just like any other benefit, are you seggesting there are no dishonest people amongst the disabled?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2016, 09:57 AM

I want to agree with tpin but when people who are doing manual work have a knee or back problem I'm not sure there are jobs they can move into. I know I need a sit down job but having been a career cleaner no one is going to take me on and retrain me, and often people don't have money to pay for retraining themselves. Ideal world everyone would be doing jobs they are best suited to but we are a long way from that.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

27-09-2016, 10:03 AM

I wouldn't know about manual work, bad backs or knees.
Like every other bricklayer the cold winters have been kind to us

Disability Benefits shouldn't be there to care for those that can work but can't get a job because if age or job description.

That's what unemployment is for.
Incorporating signing on to check you are available for work and to encourage returning to/finding work.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

27-09-2016, 10:05 AM

Of course there are false or exaggerated claims.
Some on disability think they should be exempt from work even though they could work.

Disability benefits are open to abuse, just like any other benefit, are you seggesting there are no dishonest people amongst the disabled?
Not at all but its supposed to be 1 percent that are fraudulent.

Have you attended an assessment? to find how stupid it is, nothing to do with peoples health just a box ticking excersise to save money regardless of a persons health.

Furthermore people like me have paid into the system so that in the case we have needs of support its there for us.

Torys ideaology is to destroy the welfare system, and using the media it seems many on here would agree with them.

So Tpin haave they really saved any money, it would have been better employed in actual support to those in need by better healthcare and support.

Closing support for Remploy was one of the first acts the Torys enacted, ive seen how much the disabled got from working in those places.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

27-09-2016, 10:09 AM

I wouldn't know about manual work, bad backs or knees.
Like every other bricklayer the cold winters have been kind to us

Disability Benefits shouldn't be there to care for those that can work but can't get a job because if age or job description.

That's what unemployment is for.
Incorporating signing on to check you are available for work and to encourage returning to/finding work.
But the problem with that is if you have no hope of getting a job the stress of it and the sanctions etc just make it untenable. Also the amount of money you get is no different, when my husband had a stroke he went from jsa, disability and back onto jsa our money never changed. So it's just a name change. Interestingly he wanted to go back onto jsa sooner than they let him but they were massaging the unemployment figures at the time and getting as many off jsa onto disability as they could.

We are seeing now a push in the other direction playing with people's lives I call it just so they get the statistics they want to see.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top