Join for free
Page 1 of 43 1 2 3 11 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2016, 11:06 AM

And Still They Try To Thwart Democracy!!

Thought you may be interested in the Daily Mail comment this morning. If ever there was a true meaning of the word “Scumbags” as is often used by one poster on here, these are the true worthy recipients. Read this and fume! What do you think?

Just who does Lib Dem leader Tim Farron think he is? When three High Court judges plunged into political waters last week, ruling only Parliament could trigger Brexit, the Mail warned that Remainer MP’s would do all they could to thwart the will of 17.4 million voters.

Sure enough, up pops cocky Mr Farron to confirm this paper’s worst fears. With monstrous arrogance, he says his party will block the process of leaving the EU unless the Government promises another Referendum on the final deal.
In other words, he is determined to go on putting the question until he gets the answer he wants.

What makes his threat all the more contemptible is that he dresses it up in the language of a democratic, saying the public must not have a deal “imposed” on them while protesting that he “totally respects” the referendum decision.

He is fooling nobody! As the whole country knows, when he and his ilk speak of “Soft Brexit”, what they mean is “no Brexit” More precisely, they mean Britain should remain a member of the EU in all but name, still subject to laws passed in Brussels and still committed to the club’s rules on freedom of movement.

This is not what the people voted for on June 23. Nor, indeed is it what Parliament voted for, when MP’s agreed by a thumping majority of almost six to one to call the referendum, on the strict understanding - repeatedly stressed by both sides - that the result would be binding.

Of course, the Lib Dem’s pathetic rump of eight MP’s can’t succeed in defying the electorate on their own. Disturbingly, however, the party has more than 100 peers - while Mr Farron claims dozens of members of other parties (possibly including the SNP) will vote with him.

Together, they could sabotage Brexit - if not by blocking a vote to trigger withdrawal, then at least forcing ministers to reveal their negotiating hand before talks begin.
This would be nothing less than a stab in the back to democracy.

That is why the Mail earnestly hopes that Supreme Court judges hearing the Government’s appeal against last week’s ruling will give due weight to Parliament’s intentions when it passed the Referendum Act - and deny Mr Farron and Co their chance to defy the people’s will.

UNQUOTE

What a treacherous, anti-democratic piece of work this leader of tree-hugging, EU loving is!!
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2016, 11:40 AM

Re: And Still They Try To Thwart Democracy!!

Groan...... Sigh........ Swears to myself and anyone I can think of......

Yes, I saw this last night, but hadn't got round to posting a response

I agree with the previous/initial post, and all I can do for the moment is to agree with and endorse the comments

I am getting really peed off with Farron and his cronies trying to subvert Brexit
Although he's almost certainly made sure that what he's doing is legal it is very much against the spirit of the Referendum result and flies in the face of public opinion

I have a couple of friends who voted Remain, and would obviously like the result to be reversed, but they know that's not going to happen, and they are getting tired of the grumbling & griping. They say that (from their point of view) we should make the best of a bad job, and concentrate on getting it all over with, and obtaining the a good deal
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2016, 11:50 AM

I heard an interview with Tim Farron on radio 4 the other morning it's a good job I am not a fan of name calling
Flicker
France
Flicker is female  Flicker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2016, 12:27 PM

Mr. Faron is picking up the torch for all those who reject being illegally and unconstitutionally bounced into accepting whatever the PM and her cabinet decides is best for us all.
That can only be decided by "us all".

If you allow an unelected PM and her chosen few to ignore the will of the people on what leaving means for them, you re opening all the doors and letting in top down tyranny. If the public votes for one thing, no matter how woolly and undefined, th govt must not be allowed to design a bargain that may well do the very people who voted in favour of leaving to be damaged by.

The decision to leave was taken but HOW we leave...was not. And the very devilish details may well be what designs your future and the future of your family.

For example are you sure you want to do entangling trade deals with the USA, which has always demanded corporate dominance and protection and could mess with the NHS? Isn't that why the UK was against TTIP?
How about India which demands more immigration?
Or China which is clearly set on global financial domination?

What if the govt wants to do deals with all these and you have no say?

That is why for 500+ years, Parliament, the democratically elected representative of the people, always has the final say.

It can't possibly be a case of Leave and damn the consequences. No one would be so foolish. That would place the UK firmly into the wishes and control of other countries without the people's approval. With Parliamentary oversight the people have the final say. It may be "inconvenient" but it is absolutely vital for the democracy you say you expect.
I also expect a second referendum on any terms the govt comes to. Then there has to be an EU Parliamentary vote...the EU gets a voice too. and that vote has to be by national constitutional definition...ie once again Belgium has to get the approval of all 5 of its regions. If the UK's leaving damages just one of the regions it can hold up the final agreement which has to be agreed thus:

In effect, this means that the final deal at the end of a negotiated UK exit from the EU would need to be ratified by EU leaders via a qualified majority vote, a majority in the European Parliament and by the remaining 27 national parliaments across the EU.

http://openeurope.org.uk/today/blog/...ng-article-50/

You have a very long way to go. I would get used to crossing your fingers and holding your breath.
Please read that article carefully. You are not just leaving...you are breaking an international treaty. You don't just walk out of the door because 4% of a population says so on the day.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2016, 12:45 PM

What you say is fine in theory, and on the face of it I would go along with what you say

But being of a suspicious & cynical nature I am of the opinion that Farron & the Remoaners are not acting out of any genuine concern for democracy or co-operation for the good of the country; they are simply using procedures to delay and subvert Brexit as much as possible
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2016, 12:54 PM

Hi

I voted for Brexit, I do however belief that there should be public input into the terms of Brexit.

However I am in now way convinced that this should be done by our MP's as they have consistently proven that they are more interested in themselves rather than us.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2016, 12:54 PM

extracting oneself from a broken marriage can be difficult as some of us know!!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2016, 01:16 PM

I can't help but believe that remainiacs like Farron and Flicker are only interested in keeping us under the EU thumb, one way or another.

To be perfectly honest, I'm becoming increasingly annoyed with these people who cannot accept a legally determined decision on the part of the electorate. It's no good moaning that a lot of people didn't vote: that was their decision. Perhaps they were particularly uninterested in the matter, but the remainiacs are convinced that, had they voted, they would all have voted against Brexit.

All this arguing and complaining on their part is doing nothing but delaying the inevitable return to our sovereignty and, whilst they're at it, the only thing they are succeeding in is making things worse for the country in the long run.

The EU is bound to collapse naturally before very much longer: all empires suffer that fate. So why dither unnecessarily and continue to damage what we still have?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2016, 01:27 PM

Farron is just trying to believe he has some importance, even by the standards of Clegg he is a step down.

As for the project fear brigade they will get even more desperate as time goes on. Im looking forward to the domino effect continuing in Europe as others wise up.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2016, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Flicker ->
You are not just leaving...you are breaking an international treaty. You don't just walk out of the door because 4% of a population says so on the day.
Lol

Yet those EU Treaties were entered into and signed off by parliament and the Queen herself WITHOUT the people ever being given any choice in the matter. No referendum, no vote, no choice. The Queen even broke her coronation oath when she signed them off which is treason. It's all total BS.

Get us out and quickly as possible. Britain will cope.

Page 1 of 43 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top