Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2016, 12:00 AM

assisted dying

can't find this topic anywhere on the site at all?

however a state in OZ [victoria] stands a reasonably good chance of passing legislation in 2017 for legalizing assisted dying in certain cases. It has been reported that people are "flocking" to live in victoria now as you do need to be a resident to qualify - there's a strange statement " do you qualify for dying" I thought we all did!

I reserve my comments until later - over to you my aussie compatriots and others!!
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2016, 12:17 AM

Re: assisted dying

I'd call it a step in the right direction ... good for them.
Presumably details will have to be sorted out but in essence, a good move.

I wonder if the residency stipulation will hold though? Sounds odd. Could be complicated in practice. It could turn it into a bit of a lottery.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2016, 12:25 AM

Hopefully when I'm at the age that I would want/need this, it will be acceptable here

Although I'm seriously thinking of emigrating
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2016, 10:30 AM

Been sat long hours in various wards recently and I'm more convinced than ever we must help people die if that is what they want. One lady of seventy was begging to be allowed to die, but because she was deemed unfit to make that decision she was being brought back time and again from the brink.
We would be prosecuted for cruelty if we did it to an animal.
Indigo
UK
Indigo is female  Indigo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2016, 11:50 AM

The UK is lagging behind Switzerland, Belgium, Luxembourg, Australia and certain states in the USA in making assisted dying legal. I used to belong to Dignity in Dying, which campaigns for it in the UK, but I got so disillusioned with the House of Commons on the 2 recent attempts to push it through, that I am no longer involved. Sadly I think it will be many years before the UK sees sense. Certainly not in my lifetime. If I need assisted dying, I am resigned to having to do a "Short Stay in Switzerland".
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2016, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Been sat long hours in various wards recently and I'm more convinced than ever we must help people die if that is what they want. One lady of seventy was begging to be allowed to die, but because she was deemed unfit to make that decision she was being brought back time and again from the brink.
We would be prosecuted for cruelty if we did it to an animal.

I agree Julie. This has all been discussed on here previously somewhere, and I do think the day will come when we will be allowed to make our own choice.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2016, 07:51 PM

Hi

Assisted dying is no problem for me.

Just tell my EX I have left her £500 in my will and problem solved.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2016, 08:28 PM

Al my jokes need assistance in dying they are that bad
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2016, 09:09 PM

there is another definition of "assisted dying" and that is "providing as much pain relief as is needed, comfort and care which in itself assists the person to die peacefully.

It is argued by many that "assisted dying" with drugs that KILL is in fact "killing" and is only a quicker way to solve what seems to be a problem illness rather than assisting the illness with all medical facilities.

It is also suggested that those who support "assisted dying" are 'playing God' We don't give life and should not take it?

One of the members of an ethics committee recently said

"it starts with the intractable diseases for which there is no cure and then leads to the convenience diseases or I am now too old and of no use to anyone so best to go"
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2016, 09:19 PM

No you're not Gumbud! Keep posting mate, you make me chuckle

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top