Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 10:19 PM

How about this for bed blocking!

I have only just got round to reading last Saturday's paper and was quite shocked to read the following report:

"A patient who refused to leave his hospital bed despite not being ill has finally been evicted by a court after 2 years!
The man had been deemed fit for discharge and repeatedly offered accommodation which he turned down. His stay cost taxpayers £300,000.

This was at James Paget University Hospital in Gorleston, Norfolk.
The hospital had to apply to a court for a possession order to claim back the bed, which the Suffolk man had occupied since August 2014. This was granted on 1st Dec last year and he was finally evicted on January 10th this year."

The report finished by saying that "bed blocking is one of the biggest problems facing the NHS.
By Nov 24th last year, figures showed 6,825 people waiting to be discharged - the highest ever on record."

Seems crazy doesn't it, but what on earth is the answer I wonder?
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 10:22 PM

Re: How about this for bed blocking!

Lord only knows , that is a total disgrace, how on earth did he get away with It?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 10:34 PM

I heard about this on the radio the other day Mups it was unbelievable this was allowed to happen .
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 10:38 PM

I do remember this story from last week. It really was disgraceful that it took a court order to get him to leave.
Surely staff could have wheeled his bed into the corridor and left him there rather than taking up the space where another bed with a patient could have gone.How many patients were denied an admission to the ward because of this parasite.
He doesn't deserve anyone's sympathy as there was nothing wrong with him and he should have left after one week.

It really defies belief!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 10:48 PM

They should have stopped feeding him - then he would have gone quick enough !
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 11:00 PM

An elderly lady was in the papers a year or so ago who also refused to leave hospital. She was worried about being all alone. I believe she managed to stay in hospital for a few months but she was billed for the costs.

In this case, the man (who was Portuguese) lasted for two years and I definitely think the same should apply and he should be made to pay something towards the costs.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
I do remember this story from last week. It really was disgraceful that it took a court order to get him to leave.
Surely staff could have wheeled his bed into the corridor and left him there rather than taking up the space where another bed with a patient could have gone.How many patients were denied an admission to the ward because of this parasite.
He doesn't deserve anyone's sympathy as there was nothing wrong with him and he should have left after one week.

It really defies belief!

Well Shroppy, it makes you think about all these people that we hear about who get stuck on trolleys for hours on end, I would have thought if they'd have stuck him on a trolley or a chair he might not have felt quite so warm, fed, and comfortable!

It seems disgraceful it took so long to get him shifted.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 11:09 PM

Shame I'm not a nurse there .. I'd have just waited till he went for a pee or a wash or fell asleep and wheeled him out into the corridor or even better, the hospital car park.

I see other articles say ..
the man had refused all offers of accommodation which was arranged by the local authorities and social services.
He's now been found suitable accommodation in the community.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Flowerpower ->
An elderly lady was in the papers a year or so ago who also refused to leave hospital. She was worried about being all alone. I believe she managed to stay in hospital for a few months but she was billed for the costs.
I remember that one.
Wasn't she 79, had a broken leg and wouldn't budge for about 6 months. They even loaded her into an ambulance and she snuck back into the hospital to take up squatters rights in her still warm bed.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Shame I'm not a nurse there .. I'd have just waited till he went for a pee or a wash or fell asleep and wheeled him out into the corridor or even better, the hospital car park.

Snip 8< .............................
................................>8

Better still to the airport and the next plane bound for Portugal - let them look after one of their own.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top