Join for free
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2017, 08:34 PM

What does Brexit mean to you?

We have seen yet another headliner today with the hapless Blair putting his foot yet again on a Brexit banana skin.

Seeing as it's in the headlines yet again what do you expect (or would like) to happen to Britain after Brexit? How do you think the country will change? Do you expect a reduction in immigrants and existing migrants to be asked to leave? How do you see the economy performing and give reasons. What does it mean to you personally, your family, friends and your day to day life.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2017, 09:24 PM

Re: What does Brexit mean to you?

It means that the Country I grew up in has turned into a nasty place that I do not want to have much to do with anymore.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2017, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
It means that the Country I grew up in has turned into a nasty place that I do not want to have much to do with anymore.
And an over populated one Purwell, where population has outsripped resources. And previous governments have sold off the best bits.....
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2017, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Close the door behind you.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2017, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Tregonsee ->
Close the door behind you.
See what I mean folks, nice people seem to have gone.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2017, 10:42 PM

It is just a continuation of what's been going on for decades.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2017, 11:24 PM

At the moment for us its a cheap place to go shopping..
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2017, 11:50 PM

I think things will get better. I was watching the parliament channel on and off this afternoon because firstly they had a screening of the immigration scrutiny committee and then another about hate crimes. It was quite astonishing how little they seem to know. It's as if they are at the ideas stage but they should have been asking these questions years ago.

I think Brexit has kicked the powers that be out of a perpetual state of complacency and idleness and forced them into actually doing their jobs and using their brains.

They were talking about the idea of regional immigration. An idea that seems ludicrous because how will they stop people moving about? The lady expert basically said that they can make it perfect but it will then be very complex and very expensive to administer selective recruitment to certain industries.

I hope they guarantee some rights for EU citizens here already because there are a lot of long faces around and the more able are going off to work in other EU countries. The ones left here are the more desperate. But then there are non-EU migrants who aren't worried at all. So I think a lot of the bright young things who work really well might leave/are leaving already. It's a shame because a lot of them are really nice people.

I am really hoping the government will make it easier to set up a business and that young people will find more apprenticeship appointments on offer.

I was very pleased to hear that Morrisons are starting a buy British campaign by sourcing from local producers.

It's time celebrities and other media personalities put their differences on brexit aside and started to create a new British brand. Because it's not that this is a nasty place full of nasty people. It's the same place with the same people. We have just been through a very nasty process.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2017, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Seeing as it's in the headlines yet again what do you expect (or would like) to happen to Britain after Brexit?
The ability and freedom for us to once more run our own country the way we want to and for our own benefit.

A reinstatement of our once effective borders such that we can restrict immigration to only those people who will be of a distinct benefit to our country.

The complete reorganisation of the House of Lords to become a chamber of elected representatives of the people.

A complete end to all foreign aid until our national health service, along with other services that have suffered over the years, can once again run effectively. Only then should be consider sending money abroad, and even then only to those who are the most in need.

Replacement of our first past the post electoral system with a form of proportional representation.

An ultimatum issued by the government to the BBC to become patently unbiased, especially politically, with the threat of the complete removal of income from TV licences if they fail to comply.

Well, there are half-a-dozen from me with which I am sure many other members will disagree!

Perhaps others have some different ideas. The one that springs most readily to mind is that one particular person here will suggest that we would be better off if we had a permanent Labour government!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2017, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I hope they guarantee some rights for EU citizens here already because there are a lot of long faces around and the more able are going off to work in other EU countries.
Any evidence of that?

Actually I agree with that and I'd add to my list above that, if and when we have effective control of our borders again, we should allow any EU citizens here already who are of a distinct benefit to our country to remain.

The rest can bog off.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top