Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2017, 06:16 PM

Pompeii main street

susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2017, 07:33 PM

Re: Pompeii main street

I've been twice and so hope to go again. Fascinating place . What surprised me was our guide told me that the average height of the people was under 5ft in height .
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2017, 11:26 AM

Fantastic place to visit. I went in the 1970's and no doubt much more has been unearthed since then.

So much relative history at that time too. Having been to Rome 5yrs ago, it's interesting that our guide told us that the average height for a Gladiator was about 5ft. 3ins.
Rome is an even more amazing place to visit, for anyone who has not been. Truly incredible people and times.

Have you read the letters from Pliney the Younger. Relating to Pompeii ? There are quite a number of letters of his, and here is one relating to the Destruction Of Pompeii.

http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/pompeii.htm
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2017, 12:33 PM

Well worth a visit but remember in summer it`s hot and dusty and can get crowded.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top