Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2017, 09:47 AM

10pm Thursday channel 4

Extremely British Muslims looks like worth a watch.

Counters a bit of the negativity hopefully.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2017, 10:43 AM

Re: 10pm Thursday channel 4

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Extremely British Muslims looks like worth a watch.

Counters a bit of the negativity hopefully.
Yes Julie, looking forward to that. I never have believed all the rubbish I have read about Muslims. Although I don't know any, and the only time I see them [the ones that stand out] is when we visit Meadowhall Shopping Mall near Sheffield. You see them walking around with their children and are usually happy and smiling, no different to anyone else. You find them working in shops and are always very helpful and polite.

I hope the programme is an unbiased view of how Muslims are integrating into British society. Apart from the radicals and some dyed in the wool older generation Muslims, in my opinion, and in a few years time, you won't be able to tell them apart from any other British citizen, and their religion will mean about as much to them as a Christian upbringing means to most of us.....

Apologies to any devout church going Christians on here....
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2017, 12:01 PM

I will watch it (and this thread) with interest.
I agree with you both...
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2017, 12:14 PM

BBC2 at 9.00pm Thursday looks even more interesting.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2017, 02:08 PM

Usual stuff about a few who want to cause trouble, the one on4 looks more interesting to me showing people that are more normal from the ads.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2017, 06:28 PM

Thanks, have * this on notes in TV listing mag.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2017, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Apart from the radicals and some dyed in the wool older generation Muslims, in my opinion, and in a few years time, you won't be able to tell them apart from any other British citizen, and their religion will mean about as much to them as a Christian upbringing means to most of us.....
I'd like to think so, and that is my hope too.

After all, we have progressed since the middle ages and, being surrounded by a 21st century society, it is possible that they might progress almost to the level of us atheists in time.

I suspect, however, that there will always be the radicals and severely brainwashed, but hopefully they will remain in the minority.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2017, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I'd like to think so, and that is my hope too.

After all, we have progressed since the middle ages and, being surrounded by a 21st century society, it is possible that they might progress almost to the level of us atheists in time.

I suspect, however, that there will always be the radicals and severely brainwashed, but hopefully they will remain in the minority.

I truly believe each generation will dilute the hard line Muslims in the same way it has with Christianity. There are still quite a few Church goers following the Christian faith but again each generation sees less and less people attending church JB. I can still remember that as a boy you couldn't get a pew in church on a Sunday morning, but these days the church is only half full on special occasions - Christmas, Easter and the like.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2017, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
[/B]

I truly believe each generation will dilute the hard line Muslims in the same way it has with Christianity. There are still quite a few Church goers following the Christian faith but again each generation sees less and less people attending church JB. I can still remember that as a boy you couldn't get a pew in church on a Sunday morning, but these days the church is only half full on special occasions - Christmas, Easter and the like.
Of course. When I was a kid, my mother always made us go on a Sunday morning and I remember the church being quite full.
My dad always refused to go, though.

I also remember one day the local curate (a well-meaning but naive individual - aren't they all?) came into my dad's shop (an off licence) and tried to persuade my dad to join the throng that Sunday.

My dad, thinking quickly, told the parson that he couldn't possibly come because he had to mop the shop floor.

Unfortunately, my dad was beaten at his own game as the curate offered to mop the floor, which he did that Sunday morning. So my dad had no option but to go.

That was the last time, though.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

28-02-2017, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by jbr ->
of course. When i was a kid, my mother always made us go on a sunday morning and i remember the church being quite full.
My dad always refused to go, though.

I also remember one day the local curate (a well-meaning but naive individual - aren't they all?) came into my dad's shop (an off licence) and tried to persuade my dad to join the throng that sunday.

My dad, thinking quickly, told the parson that he couldn't possibly come because he had to mop the shop floor.

Unfortunately, my dad was beaten at his own game as the curate offered to mop the floor, which he did that sunday morning. So my dad had no option but to go.

That was the last time, though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top