Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 08:57 PM

Liver and Onions

I love liver and onions with thick onion gravy but it has to be lamb's liver. A lot of folks turn their nose up at it and I don't think my grandkids have ever tasted it.

I remember when it was rationed at our butchers and we had to wait for our turn to come round, it was considered a luxury. How things change. My hubby doesn't remember it being rationed, just wondered if anyone here remembers this?
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 09:26 PM

Re: Liver and Onions

I don"t remember it being rationed.
I do love lambs liver , the only thing is it just takes so much fiddling around, what with coating it with flour then frying it,then keeping it warm while you fry the next lot.
Then grilling the bacon.
Just don"t really bother TBH.

Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 09:42 PM

mmmm.......thanks ladies....I'm eating crap NHS food and you're talking about one of my faves.....wish my Gran was still here, she was a demon cook.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
I don"t remember it being rationed.
I do love lambs liver , the only thing is it just takes so much fiddling around, what with coating it with flour then frying it,then keeping it warm while you fry the next lot.
Then grilling the bacon.

I only cooked liver tonight with fried onions. Not much to do really, I fried the onions first and then the liver. Put some of the onions in the gravy. Sooo tasty, and good for us too!

Sorry Tpin but something to look forward to when you get home, to build your strength back up!
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 10:40 PM

Yes an occasional treat still good value for money.
Val J
East Yorkshire

13-03-2017, 11:49 PM

It is good value Nom, I wonder if it's cos few people buy it so they have to keep it cheap!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 06:30 AM

We have liver and onions every two or three weeks which is a great meal. We normally use lamb's liver but I also like fried liver with bacon for which I prefer ox, which I think has a meatier flavour.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 07:32 AM

Pigs liver as the lamb version is too bland for me. No onions though.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 08:36 AM

My sister stays with me a lot and doesn't like liver, so when she isn't here I treat myself........ Liver, bacon and onions in a rich gravy with mashed potatoes and steamed cabbage.
Right, now you have tempted me, guess what I am having for dinner tonight?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 09:06 AM

Must look into adding bacon to my liver and onions, and its Lambs liver i like.

Had another blast from the past yesterday, Leek Pudding.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top