Join for free
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Flicker
France
Flicker is female  Flicker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2017, 09:19 AM

Possible 100,000 city jobs to go

In summary both Merkel and Junker think that the financial business involving the euro should be done in Europe, not in a non European city. ie any deal involving the euro including mergers, acquisitions, loans, insurances etc.
Seems sensible to me.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...d-weber-brexit

But be optimistic...there will be more affordable homes in London...at a lower price and tempting to foreign buyers...who could charge what rents they like...

Funny old world ain't it.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2017, 09:47 AM

Re: Possible 100,000 city jobs to go

Yes, seems sensible to me too, I mean we wouldn't want the major trading floor in sterling to be in Frankfurt would we? Of course it's always a shame to lose jobs but we never were going to be able to protect all of our financial services after Brexit, in reality it was always going to be win a few lose a few..
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2017, 09:52 AM

Obviously will as has been said winners and losers initially, no one said it would be honey all the way.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2017, 10:18 AM

Hi

It is inevitable that we would have done the same as Barry says, it makes sense.

The issue is whether or not the EU decides to remove all Passporting rights for Services as part of the negotiations.

France and Juncker want to do this and they can.

Services do not fall under WTO Rules, which apply only to manufactured goods and agricultural products.

If this is the option chosen by the EU that would cause major problems for the UK, as the majority of our exports to the EU are Services, not goods.

We would of course do exactly the same, but as EU Exports of Services to the UK are a tiny fraction of their exports to the UK, the problem would be ours, they have very little to lose and a lot to gain, especially in terms of tax revenues.

Our Government has chosen a Hard Brexit, it was their choice.

We will have to wait and see what the negotiations bring.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2017, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

It is inevitable that we would have done the same as Barry says, it makes sense.

The issue is whether or not the EU decides to remove all Passporting rights for Services as part of the negotiations.

France and Juncker want to do this and they can.

Services do not fall under WTO Rules, which apply only to manufactured goods and agricultural products.

If this is the option chosen by the EU that would cause major problems for the UK, as the majority of our exports to the EU are Services, not goods.

We would of course do exactly the same, but as EU Exports of Services to the UK are a tiny fraction of their exports to the UK, the problem would be ours, they have very little to lose and a lot to gain, especially in terms of tax revenues.

Our Government has chosen a Hard Brexit, it was their choice.

We will have to wait and see what the negotiations bring.
It seems simple enough to me.

If the EU remove all passporting rights for services, we could apply heavy tariffs on goods imported from the EU. We import more from them than they from us.

Of course, I freely admit that I know nothing and I'm sure you will correct my misunderstandings.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2017, 10:47 AM

What the report doesn't tell you is that the majority of those 100,000 city jobs are not held by British workers and who probably don't live here either. And if they do live here, that will be an awful lot of housing becoming free for our own homeless.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2017, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
It seems simple enough to me.

If the EU remove all passporting rights for services, we could apply heavy tariffs on goods imported from the EU. We import more from them than they from us.

Of course, I freely admit that I know nothing and I'm sure you will correct my misunderstandings.
Hi

If we have a Hard Brexit, we then trade under International Rules, the World Trade Organisation Rules.

We are not allowed under these rules to impose heavier tariffs on the EU than on other Countries that we trade with.

Unless, of course, we come up with Free Trade Agreements with other Countries, which would then mean that we could reduce tariffs with those Countries but keep the same level of Tariffs on the EU.

The problem we have is that a very large amount of UK Services , around £100 Billion , are exported to the EU.

It is basically a tax grab by the EU, the tax we get from these services , which are subject to 20% VAT.

It is going to get nasty, a great shame, but there we are.

It is down to our Politicians to do the negotiating on our behalf.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2017, 11:16 AM

If it gets nasty they obviously have forgotten to read their mission statement that says they must foster good relationships with their neighbours treating them fairly.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2017, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
What the report doesn't tell you is that the majority of those 100,000 city jobs are not held by British workers and who probably don't live here either. And if they do live here, that will be an awful lot of housing becoming free for our own homeless.
Making London city of derelict squats full of addicts and unemployed
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

05-04-2017, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Making London city of derelict squats full of addicts and unemployed
Or full of families that are currently in less than adequate b and bs ? Who knows we can hope though.

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top